Library unknown, TSMScsi - Not Running

draganbg

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My tsm doesn't work, on tivoli portal i got status unknown on library, i tried restart server and tape but nothing..i tried delete library and add new but nothing..got error "
ANR8418E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing library LIB1.
ANS8001I Return code 15"
i writed on console tsmdlst.exe adn got error "TSM DEVICE Driver: TSMScsi - Not running"
Can u help me please?

First, before you even try to configure the library in TSM, you need to check that it's configured in the OS.

1. Do you see the device in Device Manager?
2. Is it showing up as a Medium Changer?
3. What's the make/model or your library?
4. Is your library listed here: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/sysm...BM_TSM_Supported_Devices_for_AIXHPSUNWIN.html ?
5. What driver are you using for the library in Device Manager?
6. What version of TSM and Windows?

i writed on console tsmdlst.exe adn got error "TSM DEVICE Driver: TSMScsi - Not running"
That's not an error. I don't know why they still show that line, it's meaningless. Back on NT4 and Windows 2000, the TSM Device Driver ran as a service, so TSMDLST would report if it was running. Starting at Windows 2003, it's used as a regular device driver and there is no service, so it's perfectly normal to see that it's not running as it's not supposed to be running.

What's more important is if your library shows up in the list of devices or not. If not, then answer my 6 questions above.

First, thank for help...here the answers..
1. yes
2. IBM totalStorage 3573 Tape Library
3. ibm ts 3200
4. i can't find
5. IBMTape.x64_w08_6218 - install nonexclusive
6. tsm version 6.2.3.0, windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise

def path server name LIB1 SRCT=server DESTT=LIBRARY device=lb0.1.0.3

ANR8418E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing library LIB1.
ANS8001I Return code 15.

How did you find the device name to use in your define path command if you don't see it in TSMDLST?

Since you only have one library, use the Windows name instead of the TSM name. The first library is always \\.\changer0 (0 is zero)
Code:
def path server name LIB1 SRCT=server DESTT=LIBRARY device=\\.\changer0

If that fails, test with ITDT. You may need to call HW support if ITDT fails to connect to the library. They will want you to use the latest driver, so I guess you could try that first.

I successful added your line without error, then added drives..restart server..library status is still unknown..

It sometimes do that until you start using it. Do some library or tape activity, anything: audit library, audit volume, database backup, client backup, reclamation, backup stgpool, checkin/checkout, etc.

I created backup storage pool and tape pool, and add volume to backup pool (disk) and tape pool (tape)
I successful backup data to backup storage pool on disk, but migration to next tape pool not working. Volume on tape pool is unavailable..
I added volume to tape pool over tivoli integrated portal..

What's the error message(s)?

Did you try: HELP AN####? (where #### is the 4 digits in the error message(s) you got. It explains what the problem is and often suggests solutions.

When you restart the server, does the library initialize successfully in the activity log?

Error in actlog is:
ANR1405W Scratch volume mount request denied - no scratch volume available. (SESSION: 31, PROCESS: 14)

Since you delete and recreated your library, you lost your inventory. If you can't you see your tapes in "q libvol" you may need to run these commands:

checkin libv LIB1 search=yes checklabel=barcode status=scratch <--- Wait until finished then run the next command
checkin libv LIB1 search=yes checklabel=barcode status=private

Back