Library Sharing Configuration

ritterpa

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm trying to share a library between a Windows server (lib client, TSM 6.2, called "TSM2") and an AIX server (lib manager, TSM 5.5, called "TSM"). I'm not 100% sure on the path definitions in TSM though.

My 4 drives and library work fine on the aix side. The library is connected to /dev/smc0, and the drives are connected to /dev/rmt0 to /dev/rmt3. What I'm curious about is the paths that I define from the client to the drives. Since they client is windows, should the paths be using the windows device, like this?

define path tsm2 drive1 srct=server destt=drive library=ltolib device=mt3.0.0.3 autodetect=yes
(similar paths for the other 3 drives)

Or should the paths for tsm2 use the /dev paths from the AIX box? The IBM documentation is just not very clear on this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, on the AIX side, the library manager TSM is working fine and able to access and use the tape drives. I've defined paths on the AIX server (named TSM) from TSM2 to each drive using the windows device names I got from tsmdlst. However, when I try to define the path from tsm2 to the library using the windows device name lb0.1.0.5, I get an error from the AIX tsm server that it was "ANR8840E Unable to open device lb0.1.0.5 with error 2."

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? As far as I can tell from documentation, this should work. I tried running a migration on TSM2 with no library path defined on TSM, and it will mount a tape, but I can't actually write any data to it. I hope someone can help. This is very frustrating, and its the last step I need to complete to finish my TSM 6.2 upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

You should use the device name mt3.0.0.3 (not lb0.1.0.5), as you wrote on your first post.

I figured it out yesterday afternoon. In order to get the sharing to work, I had to define the following paths.

Code:
TSM     SERVER    LTOLIB    LIBRARY    /DEV/SMC0
TSM     SERVER    DRIVE1    DRIVE    /DEV/RMT0
TSM     SERVER    DRIVE2    DRIVE    /DEV/RMT1
TSM     SERVER    DRIVE3    DRIVE    /DEV/RMT2
TSM     SERVER    DRIVE4    DRIVE    /DEV/RMT3
TSM2    SERVER    LTOLIB    LIBRARY    /DEV/SMC0
TSM2    SERVER    DRIVE1    DRIVE    MT0.0.0.5
TSM2    SERVER    DRIVE2    DRIVE    MT1.0.0.5
TSM2    SERVER    DRIVE3    DRIVE    MT0.0.0.6
TSM2    SERVER    DRIVE4    DRIVE    MT1.0.0.6

Once I put these paths in, the Windows box was able to mount and write to tapes, as well as the AIX box. Thanks again for the help. This site has been a valuable asset for me.

Ritterpa, hello. Yes, in your case with nt_client is like this:
Define path tsm2 drive1 srct=server destt=drive library=ltolib device=mt3.0.0.3 autodetect=yes
For discover the device number (mtX.X.X.X), put this in cmd on your tsm_client : "C:\PROGRA~1\Tivoli\TSM\console>tsmdlst "

I figured it out yesterday afternoon. In order to get the sharing to work, I had to define the following paths.

Code:
TSM     SERVER    LTOLIB    LIBRARY    /DEV/SMC0
TSM     SERVER    DRIVE1    DRIVE    /DEV/RMT0
TSM     SERVER    DRIVE2    DRIVE    /DEV/RMT1
TSM     SERVER    DRIVE3    DRIVE    /DEV/RMT2
TSM     SERVER    DRIVE4    DRIVE    /DEV/RMT3
TSM2    SERVER    LTOLIB    LIBRARY    /DEV/SMC0
TSM2    SERVER    DRIVE1    DRIVE    MT0.0.0.5
TSM2    SERVER    DRIVE2    DRIVE    MT1.0.0.5
TSM2    SERVER    DRIVE3    DRIVE    MT0.0.0.6
TSM2    SERVER    DRIVE4    DRIVE    MT1.0.0.6

Once I put these paths in, the Windows box was able to mount and write to tapes, as well as the AIX box. Thanks again for the help. This site has been a valuable asset for me.

I know this was a year ago, but why did you define a library path for the library client? The only paths library clients should get are drive paths.

The Redbook from IBM said I needed to define this path. I assume it exists so the client can send commands to the library for tape mounts and other control data? I'm not really it was even necessary. In any case, that configuration is gone, as is the old 5.5 server. The 6.3 server is the only library client now.

Back