Library Manager and Client

jbautista

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have a TSM Library Manager running on AIX and it's 4 TSM SERVER as well.
Due to management changes we are mandated to move everything on Linux (SLES to be exact). But since all the backups are important we have to do the move one server at a time and we cant move the TSM library manager first. So team decided to move the development server to be on the safe side.
long story short, the question now is - Will the development server that will be running Linux will be able to still connect to TSM LIBRARY running on AIX and still function as normal. I am concern because the device name for the library changer and drives that will be used for path configuration will be totally different (AIX is dev/rmtx while Linux SLES is /dev/stx)?

Thanks in advance.

If the Linux box is just a client and there should be issues connecting to the Library manager whether it is running AIX, Linux, Solaris or Windows.

thanks Ed.

Can you please verify once again as I'm quite confuse on what you just said.

Do you mean there will be NO issues even if my TSM SERVER on linux and will act as library client on a TSM SERVER Library Manager running on AIX

thanks Ed.

Can you please verify once again as I'm quite confuse on what you just said.

Do you mean there will be NO issues even if my TSM SERVER on linux and will act as library client on a TSM SERVER Library Manager running on AIX

Yes, there should be no issues as the client is NOT accessing the tape drives directly. Only the TSM Library Manager access the tape drives directly.

The client communicates with the Library manager via TCP/IP and transfers the data through this protocol. Remember, there is no tape drive definition that you put in on the TSM Client. You only specify the Shared Library on the Client.

I have systems running Linux on the Library Manager and the Clients are Windows, Solaris or AIX..

Back