1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Lanfree Configuration Problem

Discussion in 'TSM Server' started by Ozdemir, May 28, 2013.

1. Ozdemir

Ozdemir New Member

Hi All,

We have Tsm 6.3 (and ts3200 library)installed and configured on our datacenter. ( datacenter and head office are at different locations) we can backup our servers without any problem. and we have 10mb network connection between head office and datacenter. We have 4 servers at head office.i want to backup them also. i have one Hp ultrium 3 tape device connected to a server ( scsı) to a server at head office.

i want to backup servers at head office to tape device at head office ( not to tsm server at datacenter)

as far as i understand i can do it with lanfree.

my questions

1)can i backup my head office servers to this hp ultrium 3 device with lanfree ? (this device connected to server via scsi and not share)
    2)i think i have to create a new library,new device,new class but when i create new library when i try to define paths i get some error for example;
    i want to define path like this from tsm server "DEFINE PATH calgarysta drive0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=VTLLIB DEVICE=mt2.2.0.2" but server gives me ANR8418E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing library VTLLIB . i think my tsm is trying to reach =mt2.2.0.2 but its not connected directly to tsm server its connected to another server at head office.

i have established server to server comminucation between storage agent and tsm server but i think im litte confured about defining paths. im very new to tsm by the way :
    ) ​my systems are 2008 r2

Thank you for your help.

3. Jeroen

Jeroen Senior Member

AIX + storage administrator
    That won't work, since the TSM server is not able to see the tape drive on the head-office.
    So it will not be able to control the drive, check the labels and so on.

For a lanfree backup both the TSM server and the client will have to have access to the device.
    During a lanfree backup, the TSM server mounts and checks the tapes and once mounted, gives the control of the drive to the storage-agent.

4. Ozdemir

Ozdemir New Member

thank you for your reply :) i understand. lets assume its a device on the san network. i didnt understand how tsm finds the device.
    for example i define path as DEFINE PATH calgarysta drive0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=adiclib DEVICE=mt2.2.0.2

how can tsm find this mt2.2.0.2 device on the network ?

5. Jeroen

Jeroen Senior Member

AIX + storage administrator
    When the SAN zoning is set, the TSM and the client will get access to the tape drive.
    This can result in different mt-devices on AIX, let's say it is mt2.2.0.2 on the TSM server and mt4.4.0.2 on the client
    then you would execute:
    DEFINE PATH TSM-SERVER drive0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=adiclib DEVICE=mt2.2.0.2
    and
    DEFINE PATH STORAGE-AGENT drive0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=adiclib DEVICE=mt4.4.0.2

6. Ozdemir

Ozdemir New Member

Thank you Jeroen. im trying to understand it better :)
    does it work over lan connection ? i mean tsm - storage agent and client node is on the came network and the tape device is connected to storage agent server. each of them can reach other from network. when i run "DEFINE PATH TSM-SERVER drive0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=adiclib DEVICE=mt2.2.0.2" isn't tsm server going to say " hey i cant this mt2.2.0.2 because its not plugged on me "
    how does tsm server knows to where to look on the network ? i didn't understand that part. by the way im should run all this commands on tsm server right ?

7. smajl

smajl Senior Member

TSM must be able to "see" media changer device and tape device(s) from target location (located in head-office). It means you have to be able to store any data from TSM server to library in remote location (speed doesn't matter).
    You can use SAN, iSCSI should work too -> via zoning you make devices "visible" and reachable to server you need.
    TSM server is managing mounting/dismounting of tape volumes in remote location also reclamation. Last one would be pain in the *** if you intend doing it over WAN.

Common scenario (to me) is a small TSM instance on remote site with server-to-server communication to TSM instance in datacenter which manages policies/admin users/stg pool definitions/...
    Or turn on journal, compression and tranfer data to datacenter (but that's what you are trying to avoid)

8. Ozdemir

Ozdemir New Member

hmm as i understand if this is device support iscsi first i should have to add this device to main tsm server (datacenter) and tsm server should be able to see this device as a local device. and it should be able to do some operations on it. then i should have to define the path as mt3.2.0.0 etc
    is that right ? sorry for my english and for my tsm knowledge :)

9. smajl

smajl Senior Member

tsm server should be able to see this device as a local device -> yes
    it should be able to do some operations on it -> yes
    then i should have to define the path as mt3.2.0.0 -> first off, media changer device and all drives should be defined on TSM in datacenter
    define library
    REMOTE_LIB libt=SCSI
    define drive REMOTE_LIB REM_DR0
    define drive REMOTE_LIB REM_DR1
    define path TSM REMOTE_LIB srct=server destt=libr device=lb3.0.0.0

define path TSM REM_DR0
    srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt3.1.0.0
    define path TSM REM_DR1 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt3.2.0.0

Then install storage agent on remote site, connect it with TSM server (storage agent documentation) and define paths for drives, something like
    define path CALGARYSTA REM_DR0 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt5.1.0.0
    define path CALGARYSTA REM_DR1 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt6.2.0.0

But remember reclamation will be over WAN = slow.

10. Ozdemir

Ozdemir New Member

ok now tsm is able to see the device as local device and when i run tsmdlst.exe i can see "mt0.0.0.3 0 0 0 3 HU108293HK - LTO NATIVE HP Ultrium 3-SCSI D22D" but i dont see new library informations starts with lb.x.x.x. thats why im unable to define a library. do you have any idea why i dont see any new library ?

and 2. question

we are running this "define path CALGARYSTA REM_DR0 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt5.1.0.0
    define path CALGARYSTA REM_DR1 srct=server destt=drive libr=REMOTE_LIB device=mt6.2.0.0" at storage agent right ?

thank you for your help

11. tsm_dude

tsm_dude Senior Member

The lan-free client does not use a library device only tape. The TSM server loads/moves handles the library side.

12. Ozdemir

Ozdemir New Member

Hi, thank you for your reply.

i was checking on tsm server. server is able to see tape device. and i wanted to create library but to define a library path i checked my devices on tsm server with this command tsmdlst.exe and now i can see mt0.0.0.3 0 0 0 3 HU108293HK - LTO NATIVE HP Ultrium 3-SCSI D22D but i dont see any informations to define a library path. as far as understand first i have to create a library to use devices.