LAN free Tuning options

sathishdas

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
HI Guys,

I have a lt03 ts3310 (2 drive autoloader) connected in san switch.I have configured LAN free but the I am able to write only around 30 GB per hour whic i guess is slow.
I have given only the minimal settings for lanfree.

Below is the dsm.opt of the client

LANFREECOMMMETHOD TCPIP
LANFREETCPSERVERADDRESS 172.16.5.42
LANFREETCPPORT 1502
ENABLELANFREE YES

TCPSERVERADDRESS 172.16.4.91
TCPCLIENTPORT 1501
TCPWINDOWSIZE 63
TCPBUFFSIZE 32
TXNBYTELIMIT 2097152
TCPPORT 1500
commmethod tcpip
NODENAME EVS01FLS02
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
TCPNODELAY YES
LARGECOMmbuffers Yes

below is the dsmsta.opt

SANDISCOVERY ON
COMMmethod TCPIP
tcpport 1502
SERVERNAME 172.16.4.91

Please give me performance improvement options on the client as well as on the servers.ALso advice me o Transsaction groupmax setting in the servere.

Regards,
Sathishdas

Hi Das I collected some information from adsm.org which helps you to continue...

If the client is on the same system as the server.

For the commmethod, use shared memory.

All the communication is done in memory rather than going out and back on the network.

Are there any other client(s) that are having the same problem?

If you ftp a large file from the client to the server.

Is it faster, slower, or the same compared to the TSM client?

If the ftp is faster, there could be some parameter in the TSM client that you can set.

There is a manual called TSM Performance Tuning Guide. It give suggestion on what to set.

By setting the parmeters suggested by the manual will not make the client backup 1Gb of data in 60seconds. I would used the values that are suggested in the Tuning Guide as a base line. If you increase the value does the client backup faster or slower. If you lower the value does the client backup faster or slower. Performance tuning is tough since there are no error message to go by. The only thing we are going by is the speed of the backup.

Since IBM/Tivoli changed there links, I've lost the link to the Performance Tuning Guide.

What are you backing up?

Are there programs that can be excluded like Netscape.

Any programs that can be installed from a CD, exclude it from being backed up.

Are you backing up the operating system?

If you are, I would not use TSM to backup the os. I would do a savevg or if I want bootable media makesysb. There is a product called Sysback and it makes backingup and restoring of the AIX operating system easy! I know more money to spend. :sad:

Is this the first backup for this client? If it is, then the first backup will be slower and your next backup should be faster.

with regards,
kvt

Back