LAN Free backup sitting idle

sunny19

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Its very strange.I have LAN-Free db2 backup sitting idle without backing up anything on TSM server.I see all the sessions open and all the tapes mounted on the drives but whats strange is the out of 18 sessions which are opened for the db2 backup,10 sessions are sitting idle doing nothing but the tapes are mounted and it says volumes are in use,The remaining 8 sessions are backing up fine but the 10 sessions are sitting idle after it backed up like 100 gig.Did anybody face this issue before?

Hmm strange one, what version of TSM server, client, db2, lanfree etc...?
Just found out there is some problem with db2 server and they fixed the issue and i can all the sessions running fine but another issue is hitting me up,The throughput ratio for the db2 backup.We migrated the db2 server to different LPAR very recently and since then we are getting slow throughput(like 90mb/sec previously we used to get 200mb/sec).I just spoke with IBM and they are suggesting me there might be some problem with disk which is being used by that LPAR. do you have any ideas where i can find the bottleneck.

FYI,

This is a LAN-Free backup

It really could be a lot of things. Would need to look at how many CPU's, memory, HBA ports and speed did the previous system have as well as what system type was it Power5/6/7 with what type of disk for the DB2 databases? Then you need to compare it to the new system asking the same questions and go from there. If you notice things are scaled back on maybe CPU or you have a lesser performing disk setup then start investigating deeper there.

It's usually not a quick problem to solve unfortunately, could be as simple as DB2 tuning or AIX tuning for the disk or a very complicated problem with disk, layout, system type or combo of all of these.

It really could be a lot of things. Would need to look at how many CPU's, memory, HBA ports and speed did the previous system have as well as what system type was it Power5/6/7 with what type of disk for the DB2 databases? Then you need to compare it to the new system asking the same questions and go from there. If you notice things are scaled back on maybe CPU or you have a lesser performing disk setup then start investigating deeper there.

It's usually not a quick problem to solve unfortunately, could be as simple as DB2 tuning or AIX tuning for the disk or a very complicated problem with disk, layout, system type or combo of all of these.
Thanks Mikey
I jsut got to know that there is some performance problem with the applications on the db2 server,Like one of the job is running too long on that server and they have been complaining about that a lot.Do you think if there is any issue with the LPAR might also cause a problem for the backup?

Thanks Mikey
I jsut got to know that there is some performance problem with the applications on the db2 server,Like one of the job is running too long on that server and they have been complaining about that a lot.Do you think if there is any issue with the LPAR might also cause a problem for the backup?

If they moved the LPAR to a more heavily used physical system performance could suffer there too, there's a lot of moving parts in a problem like this. Especially when you add on some virtualization potentially.

If they moved the LPAR to a more heavily used physical system performance could suffer there too, there's a lot of moving parts in a problem like this. Especially when you add on some virtualization potentially.

I also see there are [FONT=&quot]XIV devices with high wait time(like 300millisecond),We recently changed 2 new adapters for LAN-Free but the cables are good and everything looks good,There are no errors generated with the paths or adapters but i strongly feel there is some problem with HBA's since they are new.do you think there might be some problem with TSM tape drives because i see all the tape drives mounted and all the volumes in use.[/FONT]

Hi,
"18 sessions opened", that means that you have 18 drives available for the backup correct? Is your LanFree path configuration correct?
Can you confirm that your client "sees" correctly all those drives?

how many partitions has DB2? Look like you are doing parallel backup? How many sessions per partition against TSM?

Mikey requested version of TSM server, client, db2, lanfree. Can you provide those?

Rudy

Hi,
"18 sessions opened", that means that you have 18 drives available for the backup correct? Is your LanFree path configuration correct?
Can you confirm that your client "sees" correctly all those drives?

how many partitions has DB2? Look like you are doing parallel backup? How many sessions per partition against TSM?

Mikey requested version of TSM server, client, db2, lanfree. Can you provide those?

Rudy

Rore,

Thats right we have 127 path definitions and i can say all the definitons are correct because i can see all the volumes mounted on the drives and some sessions are backing up like 20 gig and stopping and doing nothing,They are just sitting idle.Yes we are doing parallel backup and am not sure about how many partitions does db2 have,Is that a db2 question?I can find out.

regarding the versions
TSM server 5.5.2
client 5.5.2
db2----not sure,will find out and let you know.

Hi,
The fact that volumes are mounted doesn't mean that path definitions are correct. However it doesn't seem to be the case here because you said sessions go idle after backing up some data.
Is you archive log going to the same backup pool? In big databases I saw that archive log can occur during the full backup.

Yes, please check how many partition has your DB2 and post the command that launch the backup (db2 backup .......)

Rudy

Hi,
The fact that volumes are mounted doesn't mean that path definitions are correct. However it doesn't seem to be the case here because you said sessions go idle after backing up some data.
Is you archive log going to the same backup pool? In big databases I saw that archive log can occur during the full backup.

Yes, please check how many partition has your DB2 and post the command that launch the backup (db2 backup .......)

Rudy

The backups are running fine but i found out that we have multi node partitions for the backup,The problem was with the disk on LAN-Free server,It was using a single path rather than using both the paths,They had to remove the devices and re-enable them and now the backups runs fine.Thanks for all ya support

Back