Lan-free backup question

liming700

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Somebody told me for TSM the storage agent must need 2 fc adatpter,the backup data link and the application data link must have the own seprate link,is this right?From the maunual I didnit find the theme.And for Veritas Netbackup,a media server need only 1 fc adapter to transfer the application data and backupdata.Somebody can help me?Thanks!

hi

no you do not need two FC-adapters to perform LAN-Free backups.

The reason this recommendation exists is that disk and tape access have different optimal frame sizes.

This means that using only one FC-HBA will have a negative effect on the throughput.

how much depends on the the type of data and the make of the tape.

as an example: we ran a test on a R/3 node to prove the concept of LAN-FREee backups

using the same FC-HBA. we got 120GB/h

when putting it into production we spearated the traffic and immediately got 160GB/h

(then we added another tape drive and got 240 GB/h, but that's another story....)

so to conclude:

Yes it works, but not as good as if you separate the traffic...

/A

Yes, functional it works, but for stabilty and performance reasons , better seperate.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>hi

no you do not need two FC-adapters to perform LAN-Free backups.

The reason this recommendation exists is that disk and tape access have different optimal frame sizes.

This means that using only one FC-HBA will have a negative effect on the throughput.

how much depends on the the type of data and the make of the tape.

as an example: we ran a test on a R/3 node to prove the concept of LAN-FREee backups

using the same FC-HBA. we got 120GB/h

when putting it into production we spearated the traffic and immediately got 160GB/h

(then we added another tape drive and got 240 GB/h, but that's another story....)

so to conclude:

Yes it works, but not as good as if you separate the traffic...

/A</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Back