Journal Based Backup and scheduling

JensD

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi

I'm close to 50 mio files from our storage cluster where <1% (most of the time < 0,5%!) of all files are changed on a daily basis spread across 27 different filesystem (and more filesystems are likely to come over the years..).

Most are additional new files while there are som expirations (10:1 new:expired).

Our current backupwindow is over 12 hours, but since this is a backup from a cluster with multiple levels of redundency etc etc we're not really worried.

Nonetheless I'd like to lower this window and I have been looking at both incresing RESOURCEUTILIZATION (for starters, but I doubt it will give any real increase up from the default value) and on using journal based backups.

The documentation for JBB mentions that I should not depend entirely on JBB, but also schedule a regular incremental backup just be sure everything has been backed up.

However, the documentation doesn't really tell me how to do that - it only says:
If the journal daemon is installed and running, then by default the incremental command performs a journal-based backup on file systems which are being monitored by the journal engine daemon.
You can use the nojournal option with the incremental command to perform a traditional full incremental backup instead of the default journal-based backup.

How do I pass the nojournal option to the client when it's simply running a schedule where the action is "Incremental" like this (several fields removed for clearity):

Code:
tsm: TSMSRV1.SURVEY-IT.DK>q sched standard DAILY_INCR_BACK f=d

Policy Domain Name: STANDARD
  Schedule Name: DAILY_INCR_BACK
  Description: Daily incremental backup at 01.00
  Action: Incremental
  Priority: 5
  Start Date/Time: 07/28/2005 01:00:00
  Duration: 1 Hour(s)
  Maximum Run Time (Minutes): 0
  Schedule Style: Classic
  Period: 1 Day(s)
  Day of Week: Any
  Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
  Last Update Date/Time: 07/29/2005 10:33:00

Since the regular incremental backup would take 12+ hours, turning off the journal daemon would result in lots of files that would not be backed up until the next regular incremental backup, so I hope there's a way..

How do I pass the nojournal option to the client when it's simply running a schedule where the action is "Incremental" like this (several fields removed for clearity):
You setup two backup schedules. One that runs daily and one that runs once a month (or whatever frequency you want) and add the option -nojournal to that schedule. Example: define schedule ... ... option="-nojournal"

Gah!

How on earth did I overlook that option - I've been through every part of the output from "help 3.16.29.1" (3.16.29.1 DEFINE SCHEDULE (Define a client schedule))..

Thanks!

Back