Issue about moving the database and active log - TSM v7.1.3

xyzegg

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

TSM v7.1.3
Linux RHEL 7.0

We´re planning to move our SP database and active logs into a new storage (from IBM-based to NetApp (LUN) based) and I was reading an old Administrator Guide (TSM for Linux 6.2) to do this. Resuming, these are steps:

1. Backup database;
2. Halt server;
3. Create new dirs. for the database, active logs and archive logs. Check perms;
4. Create a file that lists the locations of the database directories;
5. Remove the database instance;
6. Issue DSMSERVER RESTORE DB utility to move the database and create the new active log;
7. Restart the server;
8. Move the archive logs from the old directory to the new directory.

I was wondering if I can use the same names and keep the same structure instead of removing the database instance and restoring it?

1. Backup database;
2. Halt server;
3. Umount the database and {act,mir,arc}log disks;
4. Mount them elsewhere;
5. Format the new disks keeping the same fs_type;
6. Mount the new disks at the above dirs;
7. Copy the contents from old dirs into new dirs.

Braga, Eduardo (a.k.a Mahalik)
Brazil, Rio de Janeiro

1. Backup database;
2. Halt server;
3. Create new dirs. for the database, active logs and archive logs. Check perms;
4. Create a file that lists the locations of the database directories;
5. Remove the database instance;
6. Issue DSMSERVER RESTORE DB utility to move the database and create the new active log;
7. Restart the server;

Above is the right approach EXCEPT you do not need step 8

Below WILL NOT work:

1. Backup database;
2. Halt server;
3. Umount the database and {act,mir,arc}log disks;
4. Mount them elsewhere;
5. Format the new disks keeping the same fs_type;
6. Mount the new disks at the above dirs;
7. Copy the contents from old dirs into new dirs.

Above is the right approach EXCEPT you do not need step 8

Below WILL NOT work:
Once more question, should I remove the database instance and issue DSMSERVER RESTORE DB utility as root or TSM instance user (e.g. tsminst1)?

As always, thank you very much for taking your time to help others.

DO NOT use ROOT to remove or restore DB that is owned by a specific instance owner. Always use the instance owner.

I would remove the DB first before restoring.

DO NOT use ROOT to remove or restore DB that is owned by a specific instance owner. Always use the instance owner.

I would remove the DB first before restoring.

Thanks, Moon-buddy.

And, in case of failure of the procedure in the pass of removing the database instance or restoring the database, is there a way to undo it? I´m afraid of doing this and leave a non-functional system. Do I need to run these commands inside the User's instance home dir? Sorry, we cannot count with Technical Support right now.

If the restore fails, look at the errors from the LOGS and correct. Then try the restore again.

When restoring, always use the instance owner and issue the restore command from within the instance owner home directory where dsmserv.opt "lives".

What I will do:
- Halt TSM server
- Mount new storage to new temporary mount points
- Copy files (maybe with tar pipe to preserve all the attributes, but i did it with normal copy before without issue) of database and logs
- switch mount points, old and new
- start server

Hi,
What is the TSM server version that you have? In any version, usually we do the following:
- Backup db t=f
- Backup volhist
- Backup devconfig
- Make a copy of your dsmserv.opt file in a safe place.
- Disable session client on the TSM server
- Halt
- run dsmserv remove db
- run dsmserv restore db on=dbdirs.txt pit=06/26/2018 source=dbb recoverydir=archivelogdir activelogdir=activelogdir

Let me know the version and I will provide you with the link

Back