1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Is the Volume Shadow Service required on Windows Server?

Discussion in 'Backup / Archive Discussion' started by osi9400, Apr 29, 2009.

1. osi9400

osi9400 New Member

How does TSM use the Windows Volume Shadow Service (VSS)? Is this is a requirement for the BA Client? What do I lose by not running it?

Thanks.

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    Enabled by default on Windows XP, Windows 2003 and up.

VSS adds some sort of snapshot functionality (but formally called shadow copies) for system related or application files so TSM or any other backup software can do backups without access errors being displayed.

You can opt of not using VSS but note that system related files may not be backed up properly.

Read this link for an explanation of VSS: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785914.aspx

Further:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  4. Jeff_Jeske

Jeff_Jeske Senior Member

Storage Engineer - DR Coordinator
    Well if you plan to have any Windows 2008 clients you'll need the VSS writers.

The writers are used for system state and open files. We added the following line to our dsm.opt file to grab the problematic open OS files on W2K8.

INCLUDE.FS C: SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS=VSS

5. osi9400

osi9400 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I have noticed that the BAClient (5.5.x.x) cannot be opened unless the VSS service is running. Has anyone else seen this?

6. Jeff_Jeske

Jeff_Jeske Senior Member

I have not seen that. Our Volume Shadow Copy service is set to manual. It starts when the GUI is opened.

EDIT: Also worth noting is that 5.5.2 fixes a bunch of bugs that were a real PITA. If you aren't on 5.5.2 yet go take a look at all active and inactive system state backups. See how long it takes to populate that window. For use the GUI would immediately go to not responding. After the 5.5.2 upgrade it processed requests much faster.

7. osi9400

osi9400 New Member

What happens if VSS is disabled?

8. Jeff_Jeske

Jeff_Jeske Senior Member

Since I know its required I wouldn't disable it.