Is it possible to backup files, only changed in filesize or last modification ?

waelti

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to backup files only if these changes happen to a file:
– File size
– Date or time of last modification

I don´t want to save them, if these changes occours to the file:
– Extended Attributes
– Access Control List
– Sparse, reparse point or encrypted file attributes.
– NTFS file security descriptors. These are the Owner Security Identifier (SID), Group SID, Discretionary Access Control List (ACL), and System ACL.

We change the authorisation at the moment on many directories, so that I would have to backup several TB of data, although the content doesn´t change at all.

Kind regards
Walter

I found two switches for dsm.opt, are they what I need (I hope so) ?
SKIPACL YES
SKIPACLUP YES

Not exactly:
SKIPACL YES is to prevent TSM from backing up ACLs

SKIPACLUP YES is to prevent TSM from evaluating the ACL to see if it needs to be backed up.

So the second option sounds like what you were looking for. More info on that option here: https://www-01.ibm.com/support/know...sm.client.doc/r_opt_skipaclupdatecheckch.html

One thing to keep in mind, if you use SKIPACLUP and perform a large number of file permission changes like you are doing, then if the disk dies and you need to restore the entire disk, you will have to redo all the permission changes on all the old files that have not changed since SKIPACLUP was implemented.

Marclant, thank you for your explanation, I´m curious about, what will be backed up tonight.

Did you add the parameters into the dsm.opt file and stop/restart the schedule service?
If so, the files will not be backed up, and what was previously backed up will follow the Version Data Deleted parameters.

If you only added the parameters into the dsm.opt file but did not stop/restart the schedule service.
Then, yes the files will be backed up because the new parameters in the dsm.opt have not been read into memory for the schedule service.

Good Luck,
Sias

If so, the files will not be backed up, and what was previously backed up will follow the Version Data Deleted parameters.
Only if the files were actually deleted from the machine or if an exclude is added. SKIPACLUP is not an exclude, but a change in the way files are evaluated as candidates for backup.

..SKIPACLUP is not an exclude, but a change in the way files are evaluated as candidates for backup...

Yea..your right.
Dang Mondays!

Back