• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Installed TSM...help configure

illllm

ADSM.ORG Member
Hi All, I installed TSM, configured DB2, setup the preliminary steps for replication between two servers, configured containers for backups.

How do i configure domain, policy set, mgmntclass and the rest?

what are the steps? What do I need to do before I can add a client?

I tried the IBM documentation but the information is never in one place. Every link I click, takes me to another page that takes me to another page.

many thanks!

RecoveryOne

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Thankfully TSM has great internal help documentation.
Take a look at:
help define domain
help define policy
help define mgmtclass
Once you have all those defined then you can add a client. But you will need to define a schedule! So take a peek at:
help define schedule

Sorry, gotta take care of some things or I would expand a bit more.

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Will also need to define copy groups:
help define copygroup

Don't forget that after defining your domain/policy/mgmtclass/copygroup, you'll need to activate the policy:
help validate policy
help activate policy

RecoveryOne

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Will also need to define copy groups:
help define copygroup

Don't forget that after defining your domain/policy/mgmtclass/copygroup, you'll need to activate the policy:
help validate policy
help activate policy
Ahh yes figured I was forgetting something!

Thanks marclant!

illllm

ADSM.ORG Member
so the correct order of configuring is:

1. define domain
2. define policy
3. define mgmtclass
4. define copygroup
5. define schedule
6. validate policy
7. activate policy

My question is because, when I try to configure one, it asks for another and then another. Need the correct order which is not in any IBM documentation I read.

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
so the correct order of configuring is:

1. define domain
2. define policy
3. define mgmtclass
4. define copygroup
5. define schedule
6. validate policy
7. activate policy

My question is because, when I try to configure one, it asks for another and then another. Need the correct order which is not in any IBM documentation I read.
The schedule is not related to the policy, you can do that later.

Also, there's a STANDARD domain already defined with some defaults. Instead of DEFINE, you can use QUERY to see what's there, and UPDATE to modify the existing ones. Still need to validate and activate after you define, delete or update anything in a policy.

illllm

ADSM.ORG Member
to configure replication should the node be defined on the DR server too or is that automatic when replication happens?

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Before you started adding nodes and replicating. Did you follow the Blueprint when building the server pair? The link is in my signature. I have seen a lot of performance problems over the years due to database disks not properly laid out and same with storage pool disks. You want to make sure you have enough directories for database and storage pools.

In Chapter 2, you have to figure out if your system is a Small, Medium or Large system.
In Chapter 3, you have all the layout for the database, logs, storage pools.
Chapter 4 will help you build the server
Chapter 5 install/configure Spectrum Protect.

It's perfect time to reconfigure if the current config is not up to specs.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 57 62.0%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 7.6%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
worblehat