Installation TSM Server 5.35

masterdarkness

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Dear all

i'm newbie in TSM Server, recently i'm installed TSM server 5.3.5 on IBM X series 230 using O/S Win 2K svr Std with SP4, and the drive i use is IBM LTO TS3100.
here the step i was done :

1. Install O/S, Security update, all driver. (include SCSI Driver & TS3100 Driver).
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

2. Install TSM Driver Device Driver.

3. Install TSM server 5.35.

4. Running Wizard to initialize TSM Sever.

in this section i'm stuck coz TSM device driver can't be started. in windows device manager the Tape Drive already configure properly and in the device driver option (properties TSM device driver) the hardware already detect as :
Mth4.0.0.5 TD3 64D1 IBM ULT3580-TD3 64D1
LB4.1.0.5 IBM 3573-TL 1.90

could anyone help me finishing the installation
thank you very much.

Regards.

If tsmdlst (in tsm/comsole) lists the drives correctly, you have the correct drivers for your tapedrives. If not, try using different drivers for the drives. Same for the library.

?:\Program Files\Tivoli\tsm\console\tsmdlst.exe must give the correct library, drives, TSM Names and TSM Types, otherwise it's never going to work. But you don't always need the TSM device drivers for that, sometimes you should use the IBM device drivers.

Thanks for your reply Johan
i checked the tape & library using :
C:\Program Files\Tivoli\tsm\console\tsmdlst.exe
the result are :
Computer Name: NBLSERVER05
OS Version: 5.0
OS Build #: 2195
TSM Device Driver: ADSMScsi - Not Running

No HBAs were detected.
Reason: Unable to load HBA vendor library.

TSM Name ID LUN Bus Port SSN WWN TSM Typ
e Device Identifier
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------
mt4.0.0.5 4 0 0 5 - - LTO
IBM ULT3580-TD3 64D2
lb4.1.0.5 4 1 0 5 - - LIBRARY
IBM 3573-TL 1.90

Completed in: 0 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 1 seconds.

from the result seems that both the tape (LTO) & library already detected.
(btw for the lto machine i'm using IBM LTO TS3100)
for testing purpose i tried to run media labeling wizard in management console, but there is a message that "THE DEVICE ID NOT READY".
what should i do for the next step, thanks.

You did define library, drive and respective paths to TSM, didn't you?

dear, Johan

this is my first installation of TSM server, would you kindly give me direction to configure Library, drive and respective paths to TSM. many thanks to your repost.

I agree... there's way to much involved with the server install and it's really environment specific. Read up as much as you can and take your time going through it. If you have any specific questions outside of "how do I do the entire install" ask away. This forum is better server for questions like which is the better option or config to use.

Hope this helps...

I'll help you out.

Within TSM do
define library libname libtype=scsi autolabel=no

define path servername libname srctype=server destty=library device=lb4.1.0.5 autod=yes

define drive library drive1 ser=autod elem=autod

define path servername drive1 srctype=server destty=drive library=libname dest=mt4.0.0.5 autod=yes

That should do it. Make sure you're able to see drive via ntutil as well.
run ntutil choose manual test then option 88 list devices.

Good luck.

Back