Install secondary data mover for VMware backup

danlii

Newcomer
Reaction score
I have an environment with three separate networks, where the Spectrum Protect servers has legs in all three, but most other machines do not.
Our vSphere environment has three clusters, where I run a Spectrum Protect for VMware instance on one of them.
When I do backups, the management link between the three clusters gets overloaded, and so I thought I would install a new data mover for each of the other clusters as well, so that the traffic only moves within the correct network. This seems a bit more difficult than I expected. I had my network guy create a route between the vcenter and the new datamover machine, although they are in different networks, and then I tried installing just a new data mover (under RHEL). I can't get it to work with the original TSM4VE server, and I started thinking that I will also need a vmcli node on the new machine as well, as it seems like it is that one that actually sends the backup data to the TSM server.
So, is there a simple how-to somewhere, or does anyone care to explain, how to setup a secondary data mover/vmcli node which operates on its own, yet is registered to work with the same vcenter as the primary one?

Back