Include exclude

ammu440

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to exclude all the folders under D and Include only one directory (backup) under the D drive. Somehow this option does not work.

EXCLUDE "D:\...\*"
INCLUDE "D:\Testfolder\backup"

Update from
INCLUDE "D:\Testfolder\backup"

to

INCLUDE "D:\Testfolder\backup\*"

If there are sub directory under backup that we want to backup, then
INCLUDE "D:\Testfolder\backup\...\*"

Since there is a change in the dsm.opt file, the schedule service need to be stop and restarted so that the new updates will be read.

Good Luck,
Sias

Sure. But I cannot exclude the directories under D folder? is that the Exclude option is correct?

I cannot exclude the directories under D folder?

To exclude ALL the directories under the D folder....
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\...\*"

If we have...
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\...\*"
INCLUDE "D:\Testfolder\backup\*" <- The directory structure have been excluded, we can not backup files that are in the directory 'backup".

Include/exclude are read from bottom to top, which is true. There are some caveats.
Parameters like EXCLUDE.DIR are read first and then the incl/excl are read from bottom to top.

I wanted to exclude all the folders under D and Include only one directory (backup) under the D drive.

If this is what we want to do, we can not use the EXCLUDE.DIR.
Once we exclude ALL the directories, we can not have INCLUDE "D:\Testfolder\backup\*" because the directory structure have been excluded.

is that the Exclude option is correct?

This is correct if we only want to backup files that are under the sub directory called backup.

INCLUDE "D:\Testfolder\backup\*"

This is correct if we only want to backup files and sub directories that are under the sub directory called backup.

One way to check to see if the include/exclude is set correctly.
Open the TSM Client GUI (dsm.exe) and see what we can backup.
Files that are excluded will have an icon of a red circle with a line through it.

Since we only want to backup the directory D:\Testfolder\backup\ and we want to excluded all the other directories.

EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\a*"
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\b*"
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\M*"
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\1st letter of directory that we do not want backed up*"

Good Luck,
Sias

Back