include exclude in AIX

venkattsm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

Hello everyone ...
The set-up is tsm client 5.4 in aix ..i am trying to bind a directory to a separate management class ..below is the entry in DSM.SYS ..

SErvername tsm
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress xx.xx.xx.xx
passwordaccess generate
managedservices webclient schedule
errorlogret 30 D
schedlogret 7 D
inclexcl /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/inclexcl.file
abqp615a[/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin] # more inclexcl.file
exclude.dir "/pcard01/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard02/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard03/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard04/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard05/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard06/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard07/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard08/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard09/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard10/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard11/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard12/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard13/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard14/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard15/oradata/*"
exclude.dir "/pcard17/*"
exclude "/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmsched.log"
include /oracle/10g/* 10ver_1year

I tried by giving a different stgpool to this mgmtclass and tried a manual backup for the files in that directory but the data was flowing to the deafult mgmtclass destination ...all my excludes are working fine ...

Regards,
Venkat

PREDATAR Control23

The include should bind every file in /oracle/10g/ to the new mgmtclass but nothing underneath it. For that it would have to be /oracle/10g/.../*

PJ

PREDATAR Control23

If you're trying to bind a directory you need to use include.dir right?

If you mean the contents of the directory and everything under (recursive) then PJ is exactly right.

PREDATAR Control23

To be honest, I wasn't even aware, that something like include.dir exists and I can't really imagine, how it's supposed to work. I'll check it out when I'm back in the treadmill in monday.

PJ

PREDATAR Control23

include /full/path/to/start/of/dir/.../* {mgmt_class}

This will include the contents of "dir" and all subdirectories with the management class of {mgmt_class} for normal backups.

-Aaron

PREDATAR Control23

Every so often you get someone who wants to back up a few directories and exclude everything else, but they have 11 million directories which are saved to the meta database, separately from the core data. Exclude.dir is your buddy in these cases. You can also bind them to a different management class using these include statements.

PREDATAR Control23

Yeah, well - that is exclude.dir which makes a whole lot of sense because it practically says "don't bother with this path - don't even go there to check other inclexcl patterns - just ignore the whole thing" - and that's fine. But an include.dir would be utterly useless, as far as I can see.

PJ

PREDATAR Control23

Not if you want to bind directories to a different management class, but yeah, mostly useless. :)

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

this is what I got when trying the "include.dir" statement:
ANS1036S Invalid option 'INCLUDE.DIR' found in options file

Also no references of the "include.dir" option in the manuals.
I don't believe this option exist.

Regards. Wim.

PREDATAR Control23

I thought I read somewhere that directories are bound to the default management class and if you want to bind them elsewhere you use the include.dir but at my age memory, much like nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.

Sorry for the confusion.

PREDATAR Control23

Ahh, ok. The directories themselves bind to the class with the longest retention and that makes sense because you may otherwise end up with a file and no directory stored for it. To change the class for directories, you usually use the "dirmc" option, point it to a class with a very long retonly and keep it on disk. At least thats how we do it. An include.dir for that purpose would eventually make sense for cases where you have a very dynamic dir structure. Maybe something like that will be included sometime - but I'd rather guess that TSM 6.x will treat directories differently anyway.

PJ