In TSM for VE, in addition to VADP, are there any other methods?

storagemagic

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

TSM for VE utilizes VMware VADP to backup VM guests, in addition to that, Can it invoke SnapShots technology provided by a storage array? If yes, can you please provide the link for details?
Thank you!

PREDATAR Control23

No - TSM for VE does not have that provision.

Checkout Spectrum Protect Plus (SPP); but this means you have to replace TSM for VE with SPP.

PREDATAR Control23

Well, SPP is still based on VMware VADP.
If you believe it is not, then what technology is SPP based on?

PREDATAR Control23

Well, SPP is still based on VMware VADP.
If you believe it is not, then what technology is SPP based on?

Last we looked into this, IBM said they will have the ability to work with snapshots on the later versions. They introduced a new version lately.

This is why I said, "Checkout Spectrum Protect Plus (SPP)". I don't do TSM for VE or SPP as IBM's technology - working with snapshots - for this is way behind.

PREDATAR Control23

I probably didn’t make my question clear. Here it is again.

TSM for VE backs up VM guests by invoking VMware’s VADP which actually takes snapshots, and record changes between this and last snapshots.

My question is, does TSM also provide any other means other than VADP to back up VM’s by taking snapshots, for instance, by invoking storage areay’s snapshots?

PREDATAR Control23

I probably didn’t make my question clear. Here it is again.

TSM for VE backs up VM guests by invoking VMware’s VADP which actually takes snapshots, and record changes between this and last snapshots.

My question is, does TSM also provide any other means other than VADP to back up VM’s by taking snapshots, for instance, by invoking storage areay’s snapshots?

I thought I made it clear - TSM does not work with snapshots as it does not have APIs to work with the storage that houses the datastores or volumes.

Competitors like VEEAM have APIs that links with the underlying storage and thus have options to either work with VADP or snapshots.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for details!
As far as I know of , SPP doesn’t have it neither.