Image backup

DanGiles

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
I posted this to the list but got no reply, so I thought I'd try here.

I've just been going through the documentation on image backups (Windows, specifically) and had a couple of questions for anyone using it.

In the Windows client doc (pp53), it states "The file system can have no previous full incremental backups produced by the "incremental" command". Just what is this supposed to mean? that you have to delete any existing files on the TSM server for that node before you can start image (full/ incremental) backups?

It appears that you would either use the image backup or regular incrementals, since full incremental nullifies your image backup. Has anyone developed a rule-of-thumb as to when to use one vs. the other? Going with image backups, has anyone found that they should do a full image backup periodically? How do you clean up the old "incremental by date" files that you no longer want (without, of course, blowing them ALL away!)

It also appears that this "image" backup actually contains file information so that you can restore individual files. Am I off base here?

Any other caveats and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

Back