Identifing tapes required for DR Test

jazz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello folks,

Fairly new at this TSM game so excuse the amateur questions.

We are planning a DR Test and wish to restore a node which is a)saved directly to tape (3494) via a collocated storage pool and b) we flashcopy this node to another node.

Question is a)how can I identify on which copypool tapes I require to restore just this colloacted node?

b) How do I restore onto a node that has a different name?

Answers on a postcard please!! :confused:

G'day...

If you're using DRM, then use the PREPARE command to build your D/R scripts. This should help identify the tapes needed for your test...as for drilling down to the specific tapes required for a particular node, you'll want to use a TSM query...can someone help here? :confused:

for restoring one node to another, you need to allow the receiving node to access the original node's backups, then start a restore process on the receiving node using the original node's backups...sounds simple, right? I've a Word doc that walks through these steps...drop me an e-mail address and I'll gladly shoot it over to you.

Good luck with your D/R test!

-PB

The table you want to do the sql on is the volumeusage table

select distinct(volume_name) from volumeusage where node_name-'NAME OF YOUR NODE GOES HERE'

Single quotes are critical and in TSM the nodename will most likely be in uppercase. The distinct lets you only show each volume only once.

Hope that helps

SteveC

Hi peeps,

Many thanks for the SQL SteveC. I had a play around with it and I can up with the following little number:

select volume_name from volumeusage where node_name='<NODE NAME>' and stgpool_name='COPYPOOL' group by volume_name

The 'group by' statement is handy if you havent got collocation activated. COPYPOOL so you can use the tapes in the offsite vault.

Enjoy!

Jazz. ;)

Back