IBM Wants Your Feedback about Tape and DRM

ChrisZuko

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello
I am a designer at IBM working on Spectrum Protect (TSM.)
This year I am working on new features for Tape and DRM and I want to work with you all to make sure we get it right.

So how can you help us? Let me explain...
- We are looking for TSM users who would be willing to talk with me, developers, and product managers at least 1 hour per month for the next 6 months.
- In these meetings you will be shown designs and features that are in development and you tell us what you like, what you don't need, what you REALLY need, and what your current issues are.
- We can't promise that everything you ask for will make it in (we are good but we're not magic.) But you will definitely help direct us where we go next.
- Sometimes you will be asked to join group calls with other TSM users who are also in this program.

We are looking for very specific tape setups this time:
- You have a physical tape library
- You offsite tapes to a 3rd party vault using DRM
- You don't need to use the OC currently. If you are a CLI or TSMManager user that is great!
- (Great but by no means required) Your tape rotation is typically handled by a employee who is a tape operator who doesn't use TSM.

If you are interested in help us and getting your voice heard, please either DM me or reply in this thread and I will email you with the specifics.

Thanks for your interest. I look forward to talking with you.

PREDATAR Control23

I sent you a PM (or rather, started a conversation).

PREDATAR Control23

Note this is a re-post from the duplicate posting of ChrisZuko. I deleted the duplicate post.

I would like to get my inputs but I am not an active physical tape user per se as 99% of our backups ends up on the Data Domain. The 1% goes to tape for long term backup/archive.

However, I would like to get something across to IBM in the form of Operational improvements to TSM:

1. The capability to restore the database of older TSM versions to a later version: like 6.x to 7.1 without export/import operations - just straight restore. Oracle has done that for years. Why can't DB2 do it?
2. The ability to rename storage pools - come in handy when reorganizing or streamlining the TSM environment
3. The ability to move storage pools from one to another regardless of form: sequential to random, random to random, or random to sequential. I am not referring to the "move data" command - more like "move stgpool fromstgpool=xxxx tostgpool=xxx"

Although these are NOT tape related but by addressing this will help operations (be it tape or non-tape) in general.

PREDATAR Control23

3. The ability to move storage pools from one to another regardless of form: sequential to random, random to random, or random to sequential. I am not referring to the "move data" command - more like "move stgpool fromstgpool=xxxx tostgpool=xxx"
Off topic, but you could do that with MOVE NODEDATA:
Code:
move nodedata * fromstgpool=[source_pool] tostgpool=[target_pool]

PREDATAR Control23

Off topic, but you could do that with MOVE NODEDATA:
Code:
move nodedata * fromstgpool=[source_pool] tostgpool=[target_pool]

Actually, that is not the point.

It is the whole storage pool in one sweep and not by node! This would be very useful when working with back end devices like Protectier, Data Domain or JBOD. This eases the ability to move from one physical device to another in much less time.

PREDATAR Control23

Actually, that is not the point.

It is the whole storage pool in one sweep and not by node! This would be very useful when working with back end devices like Protectier, Data Domain or JBOD. This eases the ability to move from one physical device to another in much less time.
If you specify *, it does all nodes in the storage pool. I see your point, you are looking for something that would move block by block instead of object by object, but each object moved has to has to be updated with the new volume it resides on.