IBM TSM SAN License

nbravo

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Does any one know how IBM TSM SAN is license. I look at the IBM site and it show it as Client Devices no PVU.

Here the Description:
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Storage Area Networks Client Device License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D51MYLL) .

IBM price is $72.25, does that mean that I just need to purchase 1 per server/Storage Agent? Sounds to easy so I thought I ask...

Going to be using it to backup a SQL server and it is already have it license for BA & TDP.

Thanks.

No that client device license is not what you're looking for. That's for a Windows client like XP, Vista, etc. SQL falls under PVU pricing, or I think it could also fall under capacity pricing model. Search the forum for that. The link is around here somewhere.

Hmm... I was under the impression that if you do LAN-Free backup you need to also needed to License IBM TSM SAN. I have the BA+TDP which are PVU licensed. Did a search on the forum earlier and most of the thread were about how to seutp LAN-Free nothing on if you need additional license for LAN-Free.

Hi Nbravo.
You are right you need a separate licence to backup directly to a SAN attached tape that is controlled by the TSM server.
Befor going ahead with this just make sure that you are licensed to use TSM EE (extended edition) that is a prereq.

I'm sorry I completely missed that you already pay for BA client and TDP Here's what you're looking for.
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Storage Area Networks 10 Processor Value Units (PVUs) License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D56FPLL)
https://www-112.ibm.com/software/ho...Locale=en_US&locale=en_US&country=USA&PT=html

Found this:

Client device

Client Device is a unit of measure by which the Program can be licensed. A Client Device is a single user computing device or special purpose sensor or telemetry device that requests the execution of or receives for execution a set of commands, procedures, or applications from or provides data to another computer system that is typically referred to as a server or is otherwise managed by the server. Multiple Client Devices may share access to a common server. A Client Device may have some processing capability or be programmable to allow a user to do work.

Examples include, but are not limited to actuators, appliances, automated teller machines, automatic meter readers, cash registers, disk drives, desktop computers, kiosks, notebook computers, personal digital assistant, point-of-sale terminals, sensors, smart meters, tape drives, and technical workstations.

Licensee must obtain entitlements for every Client Device which runs, provides data to, uses services provided by, or otherwise accesses the Program and for every other computer or server on which the Program is installed.

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/passportadvantage/about_software_licensing.html#client

Back