IBM Spectrum Protect NDMP and Data Domain Dell ECS

anothertsmuser

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Was wondering if anyone out there is currently using ECS with their Data Domain and specifically IBM SP NDMP backups to VTL. Are you getting the NDMP tapes into DELL ECS?

Any issues or concerns?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks
RS

I stopped using NDMP and storing via Data Domain VTL for the simple reason that the technology is dated and performance is terrible.

If you use the VTL functionality of Data Domain to backup NDMP, and the Data Domain has a Cloud tier option, you have the ability to transfer backup to Data Domain ECS seamlessly.

Hello.

Thanks for your response. Yes we did look at ECS literally emptying out our DD to it. However, what I found was the official documentation from Dell does not support NDMP type storage pools. Now I know the command they have supplied as part of their documention:

"update stgpool DDR_PRIMSTG_LTR ovflocation=DataDomain_Cloud"

...should work for all storage pools. However, the ovflocation is not a valid option for NDMP storage pools.

I think this is not that important and simply to make the process easier for follow for non-technical individuals. My worry is there something that I've overlooked or is it something that can be ignored and we simply record or track by an alternative procedure.

Thanks

RS

Back