I don't think I like directory storage pools anymore

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago I setup a SP server in Azure to handle SQL backups. At the time you could not allocate disks to the VM that were large enough to use for back-end storage so I configured it to use Azure fileshares for a directory storage pool. Needless to say the performance using NAS-based storage for a directory storage pool wasn't that great, but it worked and our client count was low.

Fast forward to today and my client count has increased and Azure now allows 32TB disks to be attached to the VM. So, in an effort to improve performance I attached 4x32TB disks to the VM and created a new directory storage pool called AZUREDISK. My old NAS-based pool is called AZUREFILE and I would like to get rid of it.

By now you have probably guessed where this is going. I want to decommission my old AZUREFILE storage pool and to do that I need to move everything out of the AZUREFILE pool. Without a 'MIGRATE' capability for directory pools it make the process difficult.

Since I am only using this SP server to do TDP SQL backups I thought I could just modify my copygroup to point to the new AZUREDISK storage pool and wait for retention and the new SQL backups to all start showing up in my new pool. For the most part that is exactly what happened, however there are 100's of objects remaining in the old pool that have not expired/moved into the new pool. I run regular queries looking for backup objects that are beyond our retention period and these queries do not list any outdated objects. So somehow these objects in my old AZUREFILE storage pool are getting updated, but not getting moved into the new pool.

So a couple questions:
1) Anyone know why SQL/TDP backups would keep these old objects current and not relocate them?
2) Anyone know any tricks to migrate data from one directory storage pool to another?

Hi,
If your retention setings are low, just make new nodes, and delete old data when retention has passed.

Back