I do not see any volumes in VMCTL primary stg pool

KamranRao

Newcomer
Reaction score
Running TSM Ver 8.1.1 on AIX 7.2 with Data Protection for VMware Version: 8.1.0.1.
I was running vm backups from our old VCenter and vmctl had file based volumes, but once we moved all our vm's from our old VCenter (Ver. 6.5.0) to new VCenter (Ver. 6.7.0) - I ended up deleting all filesystems related to old VCenter and created a new DM pointing to new VCenter and resumed vm backups. My hope was that VMCTL stg pool will delete data relating to old VCenter vm's and resume with new data from new VCenter, but that has not taken place. In turn now I do not see any file volumes associated with VMCTL and the stg pool shows "no capacity", where as DEDUPE primary stg pool is filling up quite rapidly. I am wondering if anyone had run into this situation or point out if I had done something incorrectly.

You state that you ended up creating a new datamover, the opt file properly set to use the vmctl management class?
Also, you said that your vmctl stg pool shows no capacity, could you toss a q stg <name of pool> f=d here for us to look at?
Did you make any changes to the device class backing the stgpool? (You posted that you deleted all filesystems related to old VCenter). To mean, that sounds like you should check your AIX filesystems (are they all mounted) and then look at your device class and update its path(s) if necessary.
Any errors in the log files for the datamover?
Perhaps volumes are pending deletion? Maxscratch is set to 0?

When I was using file based storage pools for vm backups, I was using a dedicated VMCTLMC, and didn't have any issues. And I reconfigured/moved the storage pools around a lot from filesystem to filesystem!

First line of your response did the trick, I forgot to mention the vmctlmc in the DM opt file. Thanks so much. Appreciate your insight.

Welcome, just figured I'd rattle off the top few things that I could think of.

Back