1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hyper-V Backup - How to bind to a specific management class?

Discussion in 'VMWare / Virtual Machine' started by cmoeller, Aug 17, 2011.

1. cmoeller

cmoeller New Member

Hi everyone!

I have not been a 'TSM guy' for a long time but ever since then adsm.org has always provided me with valuable answers. For the problem at hand however I could not find anything so it was finally time to register. So hi! :)

We are using Server 2008 R2 based Hyper-V proxies. I am now trying to implement the BA client's Hyper-V backup capability (which I have just discovered) but have run in to a (seemingly) simple problem I have not found a solution for - how in the world can I bind Hyper-V backups to a specific management class?

I really, really don't want this on the default management class and the parameter VMMC applies only to VMWare backups (so says the reference).

Is this correct? Can Hyper-V backups indeed be backed up only to the TSM server's default management class? Or did I miss something?

Thank you!

Regards,
    Chris

*edit* Damn I missed there's a sub forum for virtual machines. Could a mod move my topic? Sorry for that!

3. cmoeller

cmoeller New Member

Oh the cruelty when hope for enlightenmend is crushed by spam.

On topic though, I have not found a way yet. Letting in run into the default management class and define a maxsize of ~20GB to it is not a solution I'd call clean. Maybe it is, I don't know, yet I appears wrong somehow ...

Guess I have to wait and see what future updates bring.

4. pbarnard

pbarnard New Member

You have probably found a solution to this by now, but I can share what I have done in the past...but it still may not be the best solution. I ended up creating a new policy domain specifically for the virtual host servers that utilize Hyper V. I created a default management class that met my needs on space requirements and then configured my host servers to use that new policy domain.

Like I said, probably not the best solution, but for the most part has worked for us.

5. cmoeller

cmoeller New Member

Hm I like your idea a lot better than mine. I've not been using TSM's "hyper-v backup" method by the way. Some virtual machines, for whatever reason, seem to have some sort of problem with VSS - in which case TSM suspends the machine to back it up. I cannot have that on production machines so for now I'm still doing the dirty file-level backup of the virtual disks.

I have not found a switch for TSM to just skip and report these so that I could "dirty-backup" only those.

Well what can you get for not using VMWare I suppose ...

6. idl-msande

idl-msande New Member

I know this is an older thread, but I thought this info could prove useful to someone else searching.

I accomplished this task using a combination of custom management class, powershell scripting, and automated task scheduling.

For the sake of clarity:
    -<Export Path> = The full path to your preferred export directory
    - <VMName> = The name of the VM, as it is displayed in Hyper-V Manager

• Create a Management Class on your TSM Server with the desired retention settings (I named mine VM_IMAGE).
    • Create a powershell script that contains the following, and save it as a PS1 file to the location of your choosing:
      • #The following line bypasses Script Execution Policy
      • Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass
      • #The following line deletes the <Export Path>\<VMName> Directory
      • Remove-Item -Path <Export Path>\<VMName> -Recurse
      • #The following line exports the <VMName> Virtual Machine
      • Export-VM -Name <VMName> -Path <Export Path>

• The above script needs elevated permissions to run, so create a scheduled task that runs the following command at whatever schedule you desire:
      • Command: Powershell
      • Argument: start-process powershell -verb runas <Full Path and File name for PS1 Script>
    • Add the following to the Virtual Host Server’s dsm.opt file to assign this backup a different management class:
      • INCLUDE.BACKUP "<Export Path>\...\*" VM_IMAGE

End result...the scheduled task runs, initiating the powershell script that flushes your export directory, then exports a current copy of the target VM to the specified directory. Your Hyper-V Host Server's dsm.opt file is configured to assign backup data in this directory to a specific management class.

Benefits:

• VM remains online and available while being exported (Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V Host)
    • VM does not need to have the TSM client installed, nor does it need to be on the same network as the TSM Server (only the host VH does)
    • VM backups are not subject to Virtual Host’s assigned management class retention settings

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
: hyper-v