Hung T10000 Tape Drives

BruceHi53

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We have Sun SL8500 library with Sun T10K tape drives using Sun V890 for TSM servers. Also, using HP 3440 and Dell 2850 for LAN-free servers. We are running TSM 5.3.3.3 and using Gresham 7.3 (I think or .4). After installing new T10K-4Gb drives (only 2Gb fabric) we have been experiencing tape drive hangs from older T10K-2Gb drives even after all T10K-4Gb are put offline. Also, the HP 3440 does not see the new tape drives. The Sun boxes are running with Sun branded Emulex HBA cards (using Leadville drivers). The HP boxes are running HP AB465 and A6826 HBA cards. All Wintel boxes are running with native Emulex (LP) HBA cards. The fabric is a Cisco 9509 switch using 16-port cards.

Do the SAN links of the tape drives come up ? Have you changed anything else at the library ? On our SL8500 some T10000-2GB drives lost their SAN connection after a firmware change on the library (!) was done. SUN had to fix the connection mode on every drive.

I suspect your problem are with the Sun branded Emulex HBA's. We've had to flash those cards to Emulex firmware and install their drivers. We've had repeated issues with those cards not handling errors on the switch ports well. The only way to clear things up so they'd mount again was to do a reset_hard using the emlxadm with Leadville.

I'd steer clear of the Sun branded cards and drivers until they have them fixed. We've moved back to ordering Emulex cards from infox and just doing the lpfc binding for Solaris.

Back