HSM Migration Criteria - last access v modified date

Phil Shippen

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been asked to implement HSM for a client, which I am working through and my initial thoughts were to migrate based on last access date. However, a third party company have analysed the data and the great majority of the data is showing the last access date as very recent. No-one believes that the data is being accessed by the users but clearly something is modifying the last access date. The third party company are recommending that we migrate via modified date which will migrate about 45 percent of the data.
My concern is, when the 'unknown' application accesses the files, or at least updates the last access attribute, I am worried that the data will be recalled from HSM. Then the next night we migrate by modified date and the data goes back to the HSM pool, then it gets recalled again by the application, etc etc.
Has anyone seen this scenario before or does the migration by modified date not work that way?
My preference would be to find what is updating the last access date and address that issue, if anyone knows of any tools to do this I would be grateful.

I've never used TSM HSM for windows before so any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

Phil.

Hi Phil,

I have also been implementing HSM for Windows, and one thing that I picked up was that there is an option in the BA Client under the preferances file - backup section - to "Reset modified last access date". If you don't have this checked the last access date on the files are updated.

Back