HSM Java GUI authentication

mirreke

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We are already happily using Tivoli SM backups for some time, and now we want to combine it with HSM. Installation of the software went fine (GPFS/RSCT and HSM client).

But now the configuration.... I tried to start the HSM Java GUI, and this asks me for a password.

But which password?

I tried supplying the first-time password I chose for the client node, but as we are using passwordaccess generate, I think this password gets reset to something random which is stored inside TSM BA client.

The nodename for the client (BIOINF-DUAL07) is not an administator ID for our TSM server.

Should this be the case??

I also tried supplying the password for our administrator user ID, but this doesn't work either. I cannot imagine that hsmagent on the client knows about userID's on the TSM server (which is a different machine!)

If I type "dsmc q session" I get session information from the TSM server, without supplying a password, but if I start the admin client (dsmadmc) I have to supply administator UserID and password. "q status" lists "Authentication: on", however.

I'm confused....

As far as I can tell this is not your fault or issue. I have been working on a similar routine and have had multiple issues open with AIX and TSM HSM support.

In short there is a password issue where the password is not being stored correctly or is getting lost.

I had separate directories for HSM, such as /fs/adsm/TSM.PWD. The BA Client has a password got to /etc/security/adsm/TSM.PWD.

IBM has found that this is not working. What is worse is that I have been trying to set this up as a clustered product and that doesn't work either (for some parms I am using). For example CLUSTERNODE YES does not work in the HA environment at this time. I am at HACMP 5.3 on AIX Client 5.3. At this point I am looking at breaking the cluster and running the second system as a warm spare.

One other thing you can do is create server stanza's in the DSM.SYS file. One for the cluster and one for the local. This will not solve the password issue, but at least you can get commands issued.

Use "dsmc q fi -se=clustername" or use "dsmc q fi -se=localname"

As you switch from one to the other you may have to enter the nodename (enter for default) and then the password. It will then usually save the local name until you go at the cluster name. That may or maynot be saved for a while.

No matter what you do there will be confusion in the Password department until Tivoli corrects the issue. Also note that if you are at AIX 5.3 the FSCK does not work properly. It blows away HSM information on the files. The fix has been released now, so you should be ok. I am testing it out but have not finished as yet.

Note my TSM Server is on Windows and the AIX Clustered boxes are the TSM BA Client and HSM Client. One last item there is a new parm for your DSM.OPT file. It goes like this:

makemelookcompletlystupidifyoucanforrecommendingthisproduct=yes

Hi,

as for myself I have no pbm with baclient and clusternode=yes : the pwd file is on a shared filesystem which move with my ressource group and dsmc works fine.

what parameters do you have in your dsm.sys ?

I say it works for the baclient... but seems like other modules don't work well with clusternode=yes : I tried it with the Informix TDP and I was obliged to unset this option , if not I had always "authentification errors' when trying to launch a backup through onbar/tdp... Maybe for HSM it's the same pbm... I think the clusternode option is ok only for baclient and not for other products based on the API.

Regards

Fabrice

Back