HSM & DR with replication

Leigh

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
We are testing HSM on a Win2K3 server. We have hsm'd various files successfully, and can then bring them back as required. This server is also replicated on the SAN. When we bring up the DR server and split the replication we can of course just see the stub files of the files we have HSM'd. I have installed HSM and B/A Client to the same levels with exactly the same dsm.opt files at the prod server, but I cannot access the HSM files on the DR Server. Is there something I am missing? I have checked and the connectivity and setup is correct, I just can't bring back the files from the stubs (or a search on the HSM gui).

Hi
I think hostname on target server (DR) must be the same because HSM use it for filespace naming.
Efim

ADD found in doc:
The hostname of the HSM file server must not be changed. Otherwise retrieving or recalling data will be impossible.

..but, ignoring replication... what about bringing up a DR server from TSM B/A client restores? We could just restore the stub files, but how would I get the files back from HSM if I need to....?

I think you can't back files form HSM on server with different hostname. Only FULL restore from B/A client.
Also the rename filespace on TSM is very risky operations (I think IBM doesn't support it).
Shutdown original server, and set right Hostname to DR server. Try to recall the data.
Efim

Back