HSM Daily Operation Questions

thefarside

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My company is looking into migrating old data from our Wintel systems to tape in order to save money and free up disk space. Our IBM Vendor suggested using HSM. Oddly, the vendor we work with seems to only be familiar with the HSM functionality at a high level. So, for those that have been running HSM for a while I have some questions on HSM operations if you do not mind.

Administration of HSM
1) With users being able to trigger a HSM operations, theoretically could users request HSM operations that end up using all of the tape drives? Is there a way to limit the resources they can request?

2) Also our library has limited number of tape slots, so we cannot leave the HSM tapes in the library and still perform daily TSM operations such as "space reclamations, copies of storage pools for DR. Is it possible to check the tapes out and check them in if a user requires a file restored?

3) Disk and tape, is it possible to have HSM data go to a disk storage pool for “x” number of days then migrated to tape?

4) Are there copies of the HSM data like the copy pools for TSM DRM?

5) Is there any correlation between the HSM node and the TSM server? A quick review of the HSM funcioaliy looks like most of the administration is done on the node and not the TSM server. The TSM server seems to only manage the storage pools for the HSM data. If I am understanding it properly.

HSM at the end user side

1) From reading some of the posts an end user would see the file but have a special icon noting it is in HSM. Outside of clicking the file to retrieve it will the end user need to know anything else besides that? If tapes are offsite or unavailable will the error message be displayed stating the issue?

Thank you for any information provided!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

After reading some the material on HSM more in detail it looks fairly strait forward to setup but can get much more complex the more you want to do with HSM as with TSM.

I think I will setup a test system and use it for a while before trying this in a production environment. Especially with all the limitations (i.e.: using tape instead of disk) and the amount of time to retrieve data from tape might not be acceptable to the end users and thus not a viable alternative.

Back