HSM and Windows

PREDATAR Control23

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Those above are making final decisions and we will have to stick to it. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. I know. Same thing over here. :sad:

Cheers

Peter

PREDATAR Control23

OK..

I have been trying to get this HSM for Windows to work. I can manually migrate files without a problem. But, I don't want to do this manually every day. I have been trying to automate this with a TSM Command Schedule, but I can't figure out what the command should be to execute. I also tried to use a Windows scheduled task, but that also fails.

They fail with a RC=12 and the message is:

The global XML job configuration file could not be found. Restore the global XML configuration file or re-install the product.

I removed and re-installed the HSM client, but I still get the same error.

I looked at the log file, and all it really says is that the highest RC was 12.

my enviornment:

OS = Windows 2003. This is for the server and the client.

TSM Server v5.3.2

TSM B/A cleint v5.3.2

HSM v5.32

If anyone out there is having any luck, please let me know what you did.

Thanks!!

MTM

PREDATAR Control23

We just picked up an eval copy of TSM HSM and hadn't thought about automating it yet. Personally I'm of the mind that HSM jobs should be run on a monthly basis or "as needed", particularly after the first migration is complete (in our case) since the primary goal for use is to free disk space only.

We're in a situation here where file servers are begin added as needed when disk space gets low and the server is as big as the server boyz will allow (for recovery reasons). We in Storage would like to prevent this "business as usual" habit of growing out the file server population like this and are looking for HSM to help us "stop the madness".

If this HSM product works, we'd migrate off all files not accessed for 90 days or more to start. We're looking for answers from IBM now for these questions.

1. The age of the data migrated seems to be set in the mgt class. Can we assign different management classes to a single file space (not sure I asked that properly),

2. If a migrated file expires, does the stub file go with it?

3. When a user deletes a stub file, does the file get deleted from the filespace?

4. Our first test migration was a volume with 100GB of user files. I chose to migrate all but those file that had been accessed with in 90 days. 75GB was written to tape, but it took 2-3 days to do that. I got 500K/s max during the job (to 3590E drives). I doubt the tape drive was the bottleneck and need confirmation that this is normal performance for that much data.

5. I haven't found the "calculate space saving" option to be of much use. The first time you run it you'd think it would give you a before and after view of your disk but it doesn't. Instead it tells you only what's going to be moved and not the total picture of "this is what you have", "this is what you'll end up with". The screen is probably reporting the info it was designed to give, but it should really give you more information.

PREDATAR Control23

The answer of one of your question out of three can be found in the Red Paper "Using the Tivoli Storage Manager HSM client for Windows". This is explained on page 6 under a section named 'Important". Here is what it says:

Important: Files migrated to TSM server using the HSM client for Windows are retained on the server for the length of the time defined in the Retain Version field of the archive copy group. Our example shows 100 days for this parameter. You should set this field according to your need. This field can be set to NOLIMIT, which means that the migrated file will be kept on the server indefinitely, REGARDLESS of weather the original is deleted from the client. If you set this field to lesser value, be careful of the possibility that the stub file still exist on the client, when the migrated file on the server has expired.

Let me know the answer that you receive from IBM about the questions that you raised.

PREDATAR Control23

I see, but when that file moves to tape, and it is deleted off of the server due to high watermark, how does the client get it back. Copy is still on tape, but server now has no record, correct?

PREDATAR Control23

Niels74>Even if the stupfile (or orginal file) is deleted from the client, it's still possible to use the "search &amp; retrieve" command to retrieve the file. This is only possible if the copy still is located in a TSM Storagepool.

PREDATAR Control23

I also noticed that the command in the manual was vague, but have got it working.

The command will need to be run from within its own directory and will migrate the files.

dsmclc c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\hsmclient\jobs\test.osj

Change the Test.osj to the job name you have.

Hope it helps