HSM and encryption

moon-buddy

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Quick one, as I not sure about the answer:

Does HSM support encryption for migrated files?

I believe the answer is yes but I am not sure. If the client option file specifies encryption, HSM picks it up as it "default", correct?

PREDATAR Control23

Here is the answer of your question. From TSM B/A client Unix manual. Look at the last paragraph
The encryptiontype option allows you to use AES 128-bit data encryption, (not supported on z/OS), providing a stronger form of data encryption than DES 56-bit data encryption. The encryption type only affects backup and archive operations.| The data that you include is stored in encrypted form, and encryption |does not affect the amount of data sent or received. During restore and retrieve operations, the encrypted data will be decrypted with the proper encryption algorithm, regardless of the setting for this option.

Notes:
Files that are backed up using AES 128-bit encryption cannot be restored with an older level client. However, if you ever need to reinstall and use an older client, files backed up by the Tivoli Storage Manager Version 5.3 client, using 56-bit DES encryption, can be restored with an older client.

HSM data migration only supports 56-bit DES encryption. Therefore, even though you enabled AES 128-bit encryption for the backup-archive client, migrated files will be backed up using 56-bit DES encryption.

Regards