HSM 6.3 / Win 2003 on Cluster Invironment: advices & doubts

chudi

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
As verified (advices):
- dsmgui (graphical interface of hsm) always search the opt file (dsm.opt) in the install directory (default: C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\hsmclient). Doesn't work to invoke dsmgui indicating the path of opt file (CMD> C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\hsmclient\dsmgui -optfile=G:\dsm.opt)
- Some programs (TSM BA) one of each change the access date when make backup. You have to add "preservelastaccessdate yes " to the dsm.opt of BA, this option avoids this change by BA.
- For delete the filespace created by HSM use nametype option (DELETE FILESPACE HNODE_NAME FILE_SPACE NAMEType= FSID or UNICODE).

Conclusion:
Unable to change the configuration directory of HSM opt file (dsm.opt) is not possible to implement the classic clustering like for BA.

Proposal:
I have a cluster, 3 physical machines and 5 virtual. Is necessary to install HSM client on all physical machines (3). Then I register each nodes: clu_1, clu_2 and clu_3. In the HSMs dsm.opt of 3 nodes I put the next option "asnodename cluster_hsm." Cluster_hsm have to be registered and grant proxy_node permissions to clu_X nodes. Always HSM will manages all the disks as local disk, also all the information of the 3 nodes will be the property ofcluster_tsm. Finally, HSMs jobs should be generated in the 3 teams.

Doutbs: Any other option .. ?

Hi,

I think I have come across the same challenges with v6.1.4 when installed on an MSCS cluster. You cannot change the name or the location of the HSM options file so you cannot configure it in the same way as you would the TSM BA Client on a cluster... i.e seperate node for each virtual server(or cluster group) stored on the cluster volume. I also discovered that although the client is cluster-aware the HSM job files do not appear to be. i.e if you setup a hsm job to migrate from a 'virtualserver1' currently located on 'clusternode1' from \\clusternode1\share (as thats the only way you can do it in the gui). If you then failover 'virtualserver1' to 'clusternode2' the hsm job file will not work as it is hard-coded with '\\clusternode1\share'.. unless of course I am missing something.....

Has anybody else got this setup and working in an MSCS Environment??

Hello andyj,

One of the option is to install hsm_client on each HD of all the cluster_groups and manage hsm by one HD. I dont know if it will work, at this monent a dont have the possibility to verify.
For example, a cluster of 2 physical and 4 virtual machines with 4 cluster groups. 2 HDs in each cluster group. In this case you need to install the hsm_client in 8 HDs ....

Back