How to? Two TSM nodes for one instance

umur

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a db2 instance on an AIX server. This instance is the only one on that server and it is backed up 6 days online and Saturdays offline. I am supposed to retain Saturday's offline backup for 52 weeks.

The offline backup is a db2 offline backup, initiated with "db2 backup db use tsm" command. An offline file backup with db2stop and dsmc incremental is not the direction we want to go.

At the moment I am not using passwordaccess generate to reach TSM, but values on db2 configuration, such as TSM_MGMTCLASS, TSM_NODENAME, TSM_OWNER, TSM_PASSWORD.

The question is how do I set up TSM so that I retain daily backups 30 days and weekly backups 52 weeks?

Using:
db2 v8
tsm v5.5.4.1 Server
tsm v5.5.2.2 Client

Thanks!

It has been a while since I've done this so it may not be exactly correct, but should lead you down the right path.

Create a node_name on the TSM Server for the "Weekly" backups (ie db2node_weekly. Then, create a 2nd dsm.opt file that matches this server_name as well as a stanza in the dsm.sys that is configured to match. You can then setup DSMI env variables via either script or profile that references this 2nd dsm.opt file, which will then reference the weekly stanza in the dsm.sys

You should be able then invoke this profile and run a db2 backup to against this weekly node name.

Ok, so I should make a script that says

export DSMI_DIR=/usr/tivoli....
export DSMI_CONFIG=/usr/tivoli/.../dsm_weekly.opt
export DSMI_LOG=/usr/tivoli/.../dsmerror_weekly.log
db2 backup db dbname use tsm

But don't I need a db2 stop start in order to make those environment variables recognized by db2?

Back