How to take data backup from TSM server

Bharanij

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi brothers,

I have four aix server which all had same lun from storage now i add that same lun to my tsm server and i want to take backup using selective backup

how to define backup should i need to install ba client in same tsm server or should i define

define schedule DIR2TAPE STANDARD type=client?description="data backup" action=selective objects='"/data/backup/*"'priority=1 startdate=today starttime=00:00:01 dayofweek=any duration=2 durunits=hours

define schedule DIR2TAPE STANDARD type=server? description="data backup" action=selective objects='"/data/backup/*"'priority=1 startdate=today starttime=00:00:01 dayofweek=any duration=2 durunits=hours

what about dsm.sys config? and should i need to install san media agent on same tsm server

i have seen some were that we should not install ba client and san storage on tsm server

If you need to go LAN Free backup of the TSM Server itself, you should not install the Storage agent on the TSM Server.

But why do you want to do LAN Free backup of the TSM Server?

If you need to go LAN Free backup of the TSM Server itself, you should not install the Storage agent on the TSM Server.

But why do you want to do LAN Free backup of the TSM Server?

Dont want to install San agent on aix servers my customer telling not to touch it

what about dsm.sys config? and should i need to install san media agent on same tsm server
No. It's not needed and not supported, you won't even be able to install it.

If you use the baclient installed on the TSM Server to backup that LUN to the same TSM Server, you are essentially LANFree (that is, not using the LAN) , because it's on the same machine. The Storage Agent is only needed for LANFree when backing up from a machine other than the TSM Server.

Also used sharedmem, not TCP for the communication method, since it's on the same machine. Other than that, it's configured like a regular client. DO NOT use any LANFREE options.

No. It's not needed and not supported, you won't even be able to install it.

If you use the baclient installed on the TSM Server to backup that LUN to the same TSM Server, you are essentially LANFree (that is, not using the LAN) , because it's on the same machine. The Storage Agent is only needed for LANFree when backing up from a machine other than the TSM Server.

Also used sharedmem, not TCP for the communication method, since it's on the same machine. Other than that, it's configured like a regular client. DO NOT use any LANFREE options.

thank you for the reply, let me try what you said

Back