How to retrieve all data from one volume

sel2sta

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi -
I tried restore/retrieve all data form one volume.
I can query contents of this it but I couldn't so far find way to limit restoration only to those volume.

Appreciate for any suggestions...

Hi,

You cannot restore data from a volume. You can get a client to restore its data, but the client does not know, nor does it care on which volume the data is stored.

So, by running query content, you can see which node owns the data, so you could use that client to restore that data.

I'm curious as to why you want to restore data from a specific volume?

Marc...

Thx Marc for your respond.

Why....
I get the project to restore the all data from one volume/tape. Looks as this is simply task (it's for others backups platforms).

My setup....
I have separate TSM server (with recovery tsm db) and some server working as client/s.
This server is not doing any regular backups - all options could be change... (if will help)

What I did .....
I run reports and know all clients and files space name which is store on this volume.

So far I update the others volume in db as "unavailable" but each time when I run retrieve process my server still list and try restore all objects stored on this all volumes.
I try use options "-fromdate" and "-todate" but this helps only little bit. Still each retrieve request is process long time (because server is exam all files and objects from db for target files space and date range).

example command which I run:
dsmc retrieve /MY_FOLDER_TO_RESTORE/* /MY_LOCATION_TO_SAVE_RESTORED_FILES/ -fromdate=01/01/2012 -todate=01/01/2013 -sub=yes

I try find way (if is any) to just target files/object stored on one volume. :)

Regards,

Hi,

You will not be able to do what you are trying to do. The difference here is that the client sends the data to the TSM Server. Only a client can restore its data, it's not possible for the server to restore client data. The client is unaware where the server has the data, all it knows its that it's on the server. A volume(tape) could have data from one or more clients and a client could have its data on one or more volume.

If this were a real DR, you would not be restoring specific tapes, you would be restoring specific clients, so this is what you should focus your test on. You will have to select a client, and make sure all the tapes for this client are available at the DR site. You can use the QUERY NODEDATA nodename (http://ibm.co/KPSCV0) to find the tapes for that node and make sure they are available.

To reduce the number of tapes, you could do a MOVE NODEDATA (http://ibm.co/JNV8dw) so that all the data from one client are on the same tape or a few tapes. Then when you go to your secondary server, you just need the tape(s) for that node. If you take a node that has less data than your tape capacity, then the data will be on a single tape.

Marc...

Back