bprrajeev

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

Hello

I have TSM 5.1 server and client,

I have only one client which is a windows platform. My server is also on windows platform. My client machine goes down, ie., the operating system got currepted and now I want some important data to be restored on urgent basis.

Earlier I go to the client or I used the webclient to restore the data, but now both this ways are not possible because the system is totally down.

In this situation how can I restore my data which are backed up on Tivoli server.

Please help

Thanks in advance

Regards

Rajeev

PREDATAR Control23

Install client on other system.

Set nodename to the nodename of original client in the dsm.opt file and start the restore from the other system.

dsm.opt:

NODENAME <original_client_name>

PREDATAR Control23

Hello

Thanks for the prompt replay,

this is ok, but is there any way that we can directly restore from the server, w/o installing and configuring a new client.

Thanks

Rajeev

PREDATAR Control23

Rajeev,

Have you tried the "virtualnode" setting?

Use the client you have installed on your server. Start a restore session using virtualnode=<dead client> and restore to some safe place on the server.

* note - you may have to change the password of the dead client ON THE TSM server "update node dclient <new_password>" and then use this new password when logging in using virtualnode.

neil

PREDATAR Control23

Hello

I have no idea about this virtualnode settings.

can you help me, if you don't mind.

or anybody know it please explain

Thanks

Rajeev

PREDATAR Control23

You will always need a client. It's the only way to communicate with the TSM-server.

The virtualnode thingy:

On for example the TSM-server enter:

dsmc -virtualnodename=<WINDOWS_CLIENT_NAME>

It will prompt you for password of the client. After that you will have full access to the backups of the broken client.