How to remove a S3 stgpool?

combato

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Pro's!

I have setup a CEPH objectstore cluster and added a stgpool in spectrum agains a S3 cloud bucket I created within my CEPH cluster.
This just to try out the functionallity in Spectrum against S3 cloud storage.

After my tests I accidetly removed my bucket before I tried to remove my stgpool in Spectrum. When I try to delete my stgpool, Spectrum tells me that objects still exists in the pool.

What can I do to delete the stgpool!?:confused:

So, if I understand correctly, the cloud storage is no longer there, but the storage pool still is.

In order to delete a storage pool, as you have already found out, it needs to be empty. Since the actual data no longer exists, but it's still referenced in the pool. You could try auditing that pool: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled...rv.reference/r_cmd_container_audit_cloud.html

You likely need the options: "Action=REMOVEDamaged" and "FORCEOrphandbdel=Yes". The full syntax and the explanation of what these options do is in the link above.

In theory, after the audit, the pool should be empty if the storage really no longer exists, after that, you should be able to delete the pool.

So, if I understand correctly, the cloud storage is no longer there, but the storage pool still is.

In order to delete a storage pool, as you have already found out, it needs to be empty. Since the actual data no longer exists, but it's still referenced in the pool. You could try auditing that pool: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled...rv.reference/r_cmd_container_audit_cloud.html

You likely need the options: "Action=REMOVEDamaged" and "FORCEOrphandbdel=Yes". The full syntax and the explanation of what these options do is in the link above.

In theory, after the audit, the pool should be empty if the storage really no longer exists, after that, you should be able to delete the pool.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I followed this technote when I ran into the problem: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21981091
Even if I followed the guide I was not able to delete the stgpool, BUT the stgpooldir could be deleted. I still got a lot of existing containers when I issued the command: 'q container stg=s3pool1'

In the technote it says: "There's a background thread that handles deletion of the containers -- in some cases, it can take up to 30 minutes for it to wake up and begin deleting the containers."

I tried to delete my stgpool after two hours without any luck. Today ~20 hours later I succesfully was able to delete the pool so the problem is solved :)

I tried to find if there are any way to speed this process up, but I have not found if that is possible.

Thank you for your answer marclant!

you will have to clear it from the db2 side. SP support is needed.

I tried to find if there are any way to speed this process up, but I have not found if that is possible.
It's hard to speed up, unless you have spinning disk for the DB and log, upgrading to SSD would help. With dedup, you're looking at millions of extents referenced, so they all need to be de-referenced in the database before the container can be deleted.

Back