How to query the encryption status of a backup?

ScottC

Newcomer
Reaction score
I'm using client side encryption and have been unable to find a way to determine the encryption status of a backup. There's no indication of it in the command output or dsmsched.log and no indication from a "q backup -detail ..." command. What am I missing something? I need a way to verify that the include.encrypt statements really did generate the appropriate encrypted backups. Attempting one at a time restores of the files deleting the saved key between each attempt, just doesn't seem like a reasonable solution. Thanks for any pointers, ---Scott.

We found how to verify it from the IBM TSM Technical Guide, Ch 22 Client security enhancements <http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247447.html> Basically, you have to collect trace information using the flag -testflag=instrument:detail. The instrumentation trace proves that the encryption module has been invoked, since there is a line item for encryption. Other than that, we weren't able to find any good indication with daily reports/logs.

From Support...

That is the only way according to a recent support call with IBM. We were working in v5.4...

Back