How to mount TSM FastBack at the DR site?

FastBack

Newcomer
Reaction score
I have tried many different ways to move repository from the TSM FastBack server to an offsite DR location but I cannot mount it after the move. Despite the fact that the repository is in a consistent state at the TSM FastBack location and there are no errors during FTP transfer to DR site there is no way for me to mount the data without bringing it back to the original environment (TSM FastBack server).

My issue here is that when the original site is not accessible (fire, water damage and so on) there is no way that I know of that will allow me to mount the data in the DR location and let's say restore servers to the virtual environment.

Am I right that you have to rebuild the original TSM FastBack server first (same name, IP address and so on), put the data back, mount as repository and then start the restore?

Short answer - yes. You have to rebuild the TSM Fastback server.

The last POC that I worked on this was an identified issue. A probable work around is to have a replica TSM Fast server that you fail over from time to time between the Prod and DR sites. But I have not tested this approach

Isn't this what Fastback DR Hub is for? Mounting at the DR site?

Or are you referring to a case where the environment doesn't have a Fastback DR Hub server?

This is exactly what I was thinking; that Fastback DR Hub will be able to mount data at the DR site. In my case I have TSM FastBack in different geographic location than Fastback DR Hub and there is no way for me to mount the data from TSM FastBack.

Is there a way to modify the History and SIG files to get the data mounted? In my understanding it is a great weakness of this software and the entire near-instant recovery is out of the window as soon as something is not right with the original TSM FastBack server.

Cheers

Back