How to monitor storage devices

[email protected]

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need monitor my DS4700 Storage Device on its components.
I do not have IBM TotalStorage Productivity Center (TPC) in my environment.
I have ITM6.x Universal Agent and ITM log adapter.

I wish to seek your expert advise on any solution available to monitor this DS4700 devices.

I also have NetApps Storage & SUN Storage Tek 6140 that needs to be monitored. If you have monitoring solutions to monitor these devices, I greatly appreciate your advise on how to do the monitoring.

Thank you in advanced

Best Regards,

Andrew

Hi.

Your Storage Manager software can be configured to send alerts to an email or a SNMP trap to an IBM director installation for instances...

We use these alerts (email to admin mailbox and snmp to Director which in turns sends it to TEC) We also have TPC installed as well but mostly for reporting and trend analysis...

We looked at SanScreen for the 'connectivity' portion but it does not go all the way to the luns and such...

You can use ITM (Tivoli Monitoring) to watch for errors on the hosts and also to ping the devices (storage devices, SAN devices, etc) to up/down monitoring. Most of the actualy storage devices (DS4700, NetApp, etc) have a built-in monitoring ability for things like failed drives and those built-in monitors should be used on the devices. Also enabling the ability for those devices/monitors to dial home and report the problem is a very good idea as you'll typically have a replacement part on the way before you even know theres an issue.

This should give you end-to-end monitoring for your SAN. (host-based ITM, ping up/down on the connectivity devices and built-in device monitoring)

-Aaron

Hello,
in the same way,

does somebody have somepractice or docs to
how to configure snmp with IBM 3584 (TS3500) library?

thanks in advance

Hello,
in the same way,

does somebody have somepractice or docs to
how to configure snmp with IBM 3584 (TS3500) library?

thanks in advance

We have configured, through the web access of the library, the snmp destination, which is my IBM DIrector server...

Don't know if it is what you are using but, my library sends the traps to Director, where i've imported the mib for the library. From there, i've modified the IBM Director trap handling with a modified SNMPEvents.map file of my own since the default map file will not work (severity is always unknown). I then have Director resend the trap with the proper severity and depending on what it is, send out alerts or informational email either through TEC or simple emails...

If it is what you are looking for, PM me for some doc.

Back