how to migrate from 7.1 to 8.1 to new hardware_

igor

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Hi,
I have a running TSM server V7.1.7.300 on SUSE SLES11 on a physical server with a tape library attached.
My company has bought a new server, target OS is SLES12 and target TSM is 8.1.x.

Would I have a second library, I would install the new server and migrate the data from one server/library to the new server/new library. But I don't have the second library. (in the years when going from TSM 5 to TSM 6, and from TSM 6 to TSM 7 we always updated both server and library - not this time, as the lib is quite new).

I thought of Desaster Recovery, making a db export on the old server, and a db import on the new server.
I cannot install TSM V7.1 on SLES12 to first import the db and then make a TSM upgrade to V8.1.

I will now install 8.1 and try to import the 7.1 db. Has anyone done this already? Is this a correct approach?
Any idea?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers, Igor

Found out from TSM documentation that export V7 - import V8 is not possible.
I think the only way is to make a SLES11/TSM7 installation on VM, import the DB, upgrade to TSM V8, export the DB and import on the new installed SLES12/TSM8 machine.
Cheers, Igor

You are doing 2 things:
- upgrade from 7.1 to 8.1
- move to new hardware

Focus on those 2 tasks individually, do one, then do the other. It will make the transition much easier.

You could this at a high level:
- upgrade the old one to 8.1.x first
- backup the DB on the old
- move the library to new hardware
- install same 8.1 version on new
- restore the DB

Thanks, marclant, for your comment.
Actually, I am doing three things, as I figured out: As I want to leave the actual production server intact, I will make (1) DR onto a VM installation of TSM7 and (2) upgrade that to TSM8. After that I will make another (3) DR onto the new hardware.
Always good to have someone's confirmation.
Cheers, Igor

Back