• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

how to migrate from 7.1 to 8.1 to new hardware_

igor

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Hi,
I have a running TSM server V7.1.7.300 on SUSE SLES11 on a physical server with a tape library attached.
My company has bought a new server, target OS is SLES12 and target TSM is 8.1.x.

Would I have a second library, I would install the new server and migrate the data from one server/library to the new server/new library. But I don't have the second library. (in the years when going from TSM 5 to TSM 6, and from TSM 6 to TSM 7 we always updated both server and library - not this time, as the lib is quite new).

I thought of Desaster Recovery, making a db export on the old server, and a db import on the new server.
I cannot install TSM V7.1 on SLES12 to first import the db and then make a TSM upgrade to V8.1.

I will now install 8.1 and try to import the 7.1 db. Has anyone done this already? Is this a correct approach?
Any idea?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers, Igor

igor

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Found out from TSM documentation that export V7 - import V8 is not possible.
I think the only way is to make a SLES11/TSM7 installation on VM, import the DB, upgrade to TSM V8, export the DB and import on the new installed SLES12/TSM8 machine.
Cheers, Igor

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibm.com
You are doing 2 things:
- upgrade from 7.1 to 8.1
- move to new hardware

Focus on those 2 tasks individually, do one, then do the other. It will make the transition much easier.

You could this at a high level:
- upgrade the old one to 8.1.x first
- backup the DB on the old
- move the library to new hardware
- install same 8.1 version on new
- restore the DB

igor

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Thanks, marclant, for your comment.
Actually, I am doing three things, as I figured out: As I want to leave the actual production server intact, I will make (1) DR onto a VM installation of TSM7 and (2) upgrade that to TSM8. After that I will make another (3) DR onto the new hardware.
Always good to have someone's confirmation.
Cheers, Igor

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 64 60.4%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 9 8.5%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
london