How to make mapped drives available to the GUI client for Archive Server 2008 r2

johnpher

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
i've posted a similar thread on the backup and archive forum.

I'm setting up the TSM client version 6.2.1 on a Windows 2008 r2 server running terminal services so that non-privileged users can archive and restore their own data from a common host.

I've got the client executing correctly for non-privileged users. Now I need to get the network shares that are mapped to this server to be available in the GUI Backup/Restore client.
I've tried adding the following DOMAIN statements:
DOMAIN H: S: T:
DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL

So far nothing allows me to see the mapped drives. Per a few other posts using the unc name to the file server will not help this issue.

Any suggestions?
What am I missing?

Thank you,
John

I just attempted to browse through GUI edit preferences that allows you to add include and exclude statements. The drives in question are visible but have a red X through them.
I am still unable to see the mapped drives when using the gui backup-archive utility.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Johnpher,

In order to backup the mapped drives, you will have to use an account that has sufficient privileges to access the mapped drives/ filer. Or else if you are using the local system account, then give that account enough privileges. If the account does not have enough privileges then you may get a "NT security permissions error" Also, run the TSM scheduler service with this account. Also, you can add SKIPNTPERMISSIONS=YES in the dsm.opt.

Here's the rub: the accounts I'm testing do have rights.

They can read the root of the drive and have explicit rights one subdirectory below root. So the drive is mapped to the root of a volume and they can access only the folders to which they have rights.

John

Will skipntpermissions=yes also cause tsm to overlook permissions to access archived data?
In other words will this make all archived data available to anyone accessing the system?

Thanks,
John

A little more information.
Granting a domain user local admin rights allows this to work correctly. You may then see mapped drives.
So, what's the right permissions change to allow a non-privileged user to run the TSM gui and archive mapped network drives?

OK, It seems that in order for the TSM client to work correctly the user must have some specific administrative privileges.

My goal is to allow any of my domain users without full administrative rights to run an archive or a restore for data to which they have rights on a set of specific file shares.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I may accomplish this?

The same as my case. I am lloking for a solution

my opt file has this working entry's for shares/Cifs.
DOMAIN E:
DOMAIN \\Serve4r\tausch
DOMAIN \\Server3\daten
DOMAIN \\Server2\Userdirs
DOMAIN \\Server1\install

I have not try that on 2008 R2.
Good luck.

Back