How to get your Recovery Plan File offsite.

Leigh

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
We're using TSM 6.3.1.0 and have an admin schedule to run 'Prepare' after we take our TSM DB Backups. However we don't actually get the Recovery Plan File offsite, i.e. off the TSM Server.

Obviously you would want this file in case of site disaster, and I see there is a parameter to use a remove server device class within the 'Prepare' command. Does anyone have any experience of this, or any better way to get the Plan File offsite in case of DR (short of a script on the O/S to ftp/ssh it).

Thanks
Leigh.

Copy it to a CD, floppy (yes floppy) disk, USB stick, etc.

I FTP/SFTP it to another offsite server.

Copy it to a CD, floppy (yes floppy) disk, USB stick, etc.

I FTP/SFTP it to another offsite server.

Just curious isn't better to copy it to the DR off site storage pool along with the Database?

because if you copy it to say an offsite server what if you cant get to it in time of disaster, say your whole network is down because of the disaster itself? Or what if in time of disaster what is the chances you will find that cd / usb / floppy?

Just curious isn't better to copy it to the DR off site storage pool along with the Database?

because if you copy it to say an offsite server what if you cant get to it in time of disaster, say your whole network is down because of the disaster itself? Or what if in time of disaster what is the chances you will find that cd / usb / floppy?

If the DR plan is copied along with the offsite pool and DB, how will you restore TSM? The idea of having the DR plan separate is to have a starting point for restoring TSM.

Thus, it should not be stored with the offsite pool since there is no way you can get it back unless you rstore TSM first: chicken and egg issue.

That is why you design a DR process for TSM keeping track of the important files like the DR plan, where it is stored, how tapes are recalled, how TSM is brought back, etc.

If the DR plan is copied along with the offsite pool and DB, how will you restore TSM? The idea of having the DR plan separate is to have a starting point for restoring TSM.

Thus, it should not be stored with the offsite pool since there is no way you can get it back unless you rstore TSM first: chicken and egg issue.

That is why you design a DR process for TSM keeping track of the important files like the DR plan, where it is stored, how tapes are recalled, how TSM is brought back, etc.

Agh ok I see now. Yeah we did not go over DR in my first class guess that is next one.

Hi All,

well... what I did on my DR script is once it got generated I will copy it to my file server and I have my laptop sync to that folder ... this way I ensure I always have a copy of the file offsite at two location.

Sorry.. I don't mean I (manually do it) I have a script that does it. LOL

Back