How to get rid of some "storage pool id not found" errors...

r.kennedy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
... without an auditdb!

I've been to Hades and back trying to fix my TSM install that recently began getting storage pool id not found errors, as well as errors when I attempted to delete a filespace. The problem turned out to be that I had deleted some copy storage pool virtual volumes (intra-server volumes), their storage pools, and their device classes without reconciling them. Big mistake.

Upon starting TSM I would get errors like this:

ANR9999D asutil.c(358): ThreadId<0> Pool id -15 not found.

When I tried to delete a filespace I would get an error like this:

ANR9999D ssalloc.c(1501): ThreadId<34> Dealloc prohibited - transaction failed.

ANR9999D imfsdel.c(1805): ThreadId<34> IM not able to delete object 0.173681910, rc: 19

Trying to 'delete object' manually resulted in the same message.

When I used 'show bfo' to get more info on the object listed, I would see that it had a primary entry that appeared fine and a copy entry that had a storage pool id of -15 and an unknown volume.

The device classes, storage pools, and volumes were long gone. I only had two options - auditdb or brute force. The last auditdb I ran took 200 hours (slow machine). I chose force.

I noticed that Tivoli creates all primary storage pools with a positive, increasing pool id and all copy storage pools with a negative, decreasing pool id. I was at -3 for copy storage pools. I crossed my fingers, and defined 12 new copy storage pools.

The output of the 'show bfo' did not change and I was sad. I ran a 'q occ' on the offending node and saw that I suddenly had data in one of the new copy storage pools!

I could delete the nodes as I had originally planned. Once I took care of all the nodes that still had data in storage pool -15 I did not get messages on TSM start anymore.

Hopefully someone else finds this useful.

Cheers,

Robert Kennedy

University of Texas at Austin

ITS Systems - UNIX

Or you could have run "repair orphans repair" (must be at least at v5.2.6.1). Just spent the past week dealing with this.

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC42603

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC43381

REPAIR ORPHANS SCAN|REPAIR|RESET|END

SCAN - only scan and report orphaned entries

REPAIR - scan and repair any tables with orphaned entries

RESET - reset control information, useful if needing to run

REPAIR after running SCAN.

END - cancel SCAN or REPAIR

This utility must be run with the system quiesced. The following steps

must be performed prior to running this utility:

1. Full database backup must be performed.

2. The following must be added to the server options file:

NOMIGRRECL

EXPINTERVAL 0

DISABLESCHED YES

3. Sessions must be disabled with the DISABLE SESSIONS command once the

server has been started

Back