How to find all your migrated files after they're moved

n9hmg

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
I had a bit of a disaster a few months ago. Right after a large migration on a windows file server, I pushed too far trying to free some scratch ("why do you need all these tapes? They're expensive, you know.") and filled my recovery log. Due to some incorrect advice from a TSM admin class instructor, I had set up 13GB of log space, allocating only 12GB, so I could easily extend in such an emergency. Perhaps if the system hadn't locked up in the full-log condition, I could have done an extend log. Instead, I learned that "dsmserv extend log" worked only for newly-defined log volumes. So, I had to roll back the 2 days to before the migration. I then took the migration logs, and used them to construct a file list, and did a restore of everything migrated - I thought. During that time, however, some of these long-untouched files were moved.
I restored them, but they weren't where the users wanted them, and when they saw them reappear later in the old location, they deleted them, keeping only the stub files in the new locations. On the servers in question, I make monthly backupsets, but as these objects are discovered, they show up as new problems, and do take significant time to search the backupsets, find the original object, recall the tapes, extract the objects and put them where they're wanted.
Is there any way in windows to search for migrated files? If I could get the list, I could come up with a comprehensive plan to get them all back en masse. Several million files, some in directories with DA read rights removed, is an impossible manual process.

Back