How to determine the volume a specific file version lives on?

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

1. Is it possible to determine which tape volume a particular version of a backup lives? For example, when I run something like this in dsmc on the client:

q backup /var/cache/man/index.db -fromdate=2020-02-19 -detail

I see the usual output, but nothing to clue me in on how to decipher which tape this would be on. I do see a 'Volume ID' reported, but I've not been able to find any information on how to reference that with an actual volume name. Maybe that's in some table?

Is there any kind of unique identifier that TSM uses that can be queried? The only thing I've been able to figure out is how to use a select statement (dsmadmc) to see a list of the volumes containing the file space for a given node, but not the actual volume that contains the particular version.

2. Also, does anyone know what the inode# is when using '-detail' with `q backup`? It never matches the inode number that the OS reports (`ls -lid filename`) for that file or directory. Is this some kind of internal TSM thing that doesn't apply?

PREDATAR Control23

I ran a search ("volume id") on the site, and I found this:

https://adsm.org/forum/index.php?threads/helpfull-tsm-select-statements.24120/#post-126285

It looks like shcart's response from June 12, 2013 is the key wherein you perform a three-step method:

1. Run a select statement on the backups table specifying the node_name, filespace_name, hl_name and ll_name

2. Using the object_id value reported in 1 above, you then run: show bfo object_id

3. Using the super-bitfile value returned from 2 above, you then run: show bfo Super-bitfile

This reports both the the PRIMARY and COPY volume names at the bottom of the output along with some other information, including the Volume ID.

I also found some other posts where others have mentioned this technique. This is all new to me. Information overload [sigh ...].