How to define retention period on DR tapes?

radhar

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to TSM and i would like to know how to define retention period of DR tapes and how to find the retention period of DR tapes.

Regards,
Rakesh.

Hi All,

I am new to TSM and i would like to know how to define retention period of DR tapes and how to find the retention period of DR tapes.

Regards,
Rakesh.

Assuming you are speaking of the DRM module, it will retain the DR copy as long as it still contains a copy of valid data unless the volume is marked as destroyed in TSM or reclamation is done on the backup storage pool.

Retention

To get an idea of how long you are retaining files for look at the q copygroup command, it will list all the retention settings for your backup and archive copygroups.

Jacob,

I was checking about DR module.
THanks for your response.

Retention

Retention within the DR Module and for any of your backup and archive data on the server is governed by your policy settings. Copygroups are part of your policy settings.

DRM only sets retention for db backups/snapshots and your dr prepare output, data retention itself is set in your policy domains

If you look at q copygroup, you will see what I am talking about e.g. http://www.urz.uni-heidelberg.de/ADSM/ibmdoc.tsm51/mvs/html/qstart/anrmqs15.htm

Look at data management policy in the above link and here is the link to the q copygroup command:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/index.jsp?toc=/com.ibm.itstorage.doc/toc.xml.

Primary data retention parameters are:

Versions Data Exists: 5 - number of versions of data on the server.
Versions Data Deleted: 1 - number of versions of deleted data
Retain Extra Versions: 30 - number of days to keep active and inactive versions
Retain Only Version: 60 - number of days to keep deleted versions.

Archives are only kept for a number of days that you set and are not version dependent.

The free poster has a pretty good explanation of versioning or you can contact IBM Support, they have a couple of technical documents that go through it.

Jacob

Back