How to dedicate one of my drives to NDMP backup?

combato

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have four LTO4 drives. Then I today backup my netapps with NDMP it often fails. This happends when the NDMP process fill up one tape and wants to change to another. Another job that been waiting then steals the drive and the NDMP process tries to get higher priority but always fails and the NDMP backup job gets canceled.

How can I dedicate a drive to just my NDMP job?

/C

Hi,

"update node XYZ keepmp=yes" is not enough?
KEEPMP
Specifies whether the client node keeps the mount point for the
entire session. The parameter is optional. You can specify one of the
following values:

No
Specifies that the client node release the mount point during the
session. If policy definitions cause data to be stored to a disk
storage pool after storing data to a sequential access storage
pool, any mount points held by the session will be released.

Yes
Specifies that the client node must retain the mount point during
the entire session. If policy definitions cause data to be stored
to a disk storage pool after storing data to a sequential access
storage pool, any mount points held by the session will not be
released.

If this does not help then you can define new library, take one drive from the original one (delete path, delete drive), define it in the new one, create dedicated management class and point your NDMP backups there .... Can be done but question is if it is worth the effort ...

Harry

Hi,
Have not tried the keepmp=yes option. Will try this when the node is idle before next try...
Can not change now because the node is accessing the server at moment.
Thanks!

/C

Hi again,

I this morning updated my node with keepmp=yes but the problem occured even with this option set. I think I have to consider dedicate a drive...

Thanks Harry.

you can dedicate one drive to the netapp-datamover - if you define a path to the specific drive only

How can I do this? If I check my datamover details I can't see any drive info...

/C

hi!

we are getting a NETAPP Filer next week.
So i am looking for configuration hints.

as i read this thread it is possible to:
have 10 drive and use them in 2 devc. one for normal file backup and one for type netappdump!!

but regarding the problems: would you recommend to do so?
normally we have onle ONE devc for ONE logical library.

is anyone using drives for FILE and NETAPPDUMP at the same time without problems?

thanks!

we do share all drives for file and netappdmp - no problems

I have 7 drives, 4 are pathed to NAS and 3 pathed to TSM server. So NAS has 4 dedicated drives that are only used by NDMP.
Normal TSM (non-NAS backups) go to the 3 drives pathed only to TSM server. By pathing you can dedicate your drives and they are not shared between NDMP and TSM server.

Back